+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 28209 jlharmony1 is an unknown quantity at this point jlharmony1's Avatar

Yes | No

X3 Rear License Plate Mount Warning

Went to remove the rear license plate on my '06 X3 and found the screws holding the plate to the mount were turning without loosening. I was finally able to get 3 of 4 off. At that point I removed the mount by removing the 2 torx head screws that hold it to the rear hatch sheet metal. The problem was caused by the screws slightly rusting to the nuts that are in turn held in place by rubber moldings. Of course, if there is much resistance as there was by a little corrosion between nut and bolt, the nuts simply turn in the rubber mount. The local BMW dealer's parts person said they keep them in stock because many people have the same problem that I had.
    SOLUTION:
    Remove the 4 screws holding the plate on and coat them with a little amount of anti-seize compound (readily available at any auto parts store). This will allow them to come out easily in the future and prevent the nuts from turning in the rubber mount. This is especially important if you live in the northeast, ie road salt country.

Jim in CO

EM

Yes | No

Re: X3 Rear License Plate Mount Warning

Thanks Jim. I had that same problem on my 3-series sedan. Solution: buy plastic bolts, available at host auto supply stores.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information