+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered Member
    Member No: 81271 ExJxZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point ExJxZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Zionsville Radiator

Please talk me out of this! I really want it, but it is about 4x the cost of a 'normal' one like Valeo.. Anybody have another aluminum radiator - I know they make other alumimum rads for the E36 but the Z3 is shaped slightly differently to allow more airflow to airbox. Or should I just suck it up because the Zionsville is really that good?

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Zionsville Radiator

I put one in SWMBF&O's M3 and didn't think twice about the extra $s. I don't like the idea of a catastrophic failure of the cooling system when she is by herself. The Zionsville unit is a piece of art. It was identical to the stock unit and was a snap to install. The Zionsville unit for the 1.9 is too far from stock at almost $1k for me. If you go with the Zionsville you might as well get a Stewart water pump and be done fooling around with cooling systems issues forever.
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 81271 ExJxZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point ExJxZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

I hear ya, stock pump failed at 65k, but didn't do anything else and I am approaching 100k, plan on rad, all new hoses, thermostat @ housing, expansion tank, and stewart pump, fan clutch maybe too although I am not sure if that is really required.

Figure I will do the pulleys as well, only I am not sure if I have hydraulic tensioner or not - couldn't quite see down there, think I gotta put it on ramps and pull the shield out to see for sure (2k 2.3 when was hydraulic idler tensioner introduced??)

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 60022 KURTZZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point KURTZZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

I like mine. Its real.... shiny.

2002 Z3 3.0i;black/black;sports package;BMW windbreaker;spoiler guard;LeatherZ armrest;Pinnacle Souveran wax;Whalen Shift Machine;Strongstrut tower brace;Alpine CDA-9847 CD;Alpine KCA-420i iPod converter;Silverstar 9006 bulb;Axxis brake pads;Stewart water pump;Zionville autosport radiator

Registered Member
    Member No: 170217 Giznaz is on a distinguished road Giznaz's Avatar

Yes | No

You got 100K out of the OEM, what's wrong with

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

When I did my upgrade I replaced everything, 'cept

the water pump as Stewart wasn't being made then. Tensioners, belts, all hoses inc. heater, fan clutch, fan blades, aluminum thermo housing, and stock water pump. Here in texas a cooling system failure is not something to take lightly so why cut corners. IMHO
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

ZGator

Yes | No

Yes, So Shiny, pretty..

Very sad I am, dreaming about a nice shiny radiator..

ZGator

Yes | No

This is true, thus my hesitation..

ZGator

Yes | No

New England here, but it has been hot lately..

Registered Member
    Member No: 18848 rwilli is an unknown quantity at this point rwilli's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Yes, So Shiny, pretty..

Check out Ireland Engineering. I bought their aluminum radiator for my 2000 MRoadster for $295 about 3 years ago. I might have gone Zionsville if I had the money at the time, but have been happy with the Ireland.

ZGator

Yes | No

IE and other Aluminum Rads..

"Our aluminum radiator is a direct fit for the E36 (including M3 models) and Z3 6 cylinder up to 9/98. (note: they actually fit later 6 cyl Z3's, but interfere slightly with the stock air intake).
    These are all-welded aluminum - NO PLASTIC! Core is 45mm thick vs 33mm for factory radiator... that's a 36% increase. Fit cars with both manual and automatic transmissions. "

notice the note, this is what has me a bit worried about the *other aluminum rads, as I have the later 6cyl z3.. Don't know how much this interference is, or if it is that much a concern.

*IE, VSL, Mishimoto

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Cost-benefit analysis

Figure out realistically how long you are going to own the car.

Yea, yea, you'll keep it "forever". We all say that.

Forever has a way of changing when you wife tells you she's pregnant, or you realize that you are five years away from retirement. Or you lose your job - or whatever.

If the stock parts last 100,000 miles or more, then chances are, a stock BEHR radiator is the last one you'll put in the car while you own it.

The Zionsville is nice, like the Stewart water pump, but I'm not sure they are cost-effective in a lot of cases.

Your mileage may vary....

ZGator

Yes | No

Cost-benefit analysis = Mishimoto

Well I ordered a Mishimoto all aluminum for $205 and free shipping:

I hear ya, and already went through the pregnant thing, now 2 kids, it's been officially 10 years since purchasing the Z new as a bachelor.. I managed somehow to keep it and I really am amazed I still have it, so now it's become a hobby/love keeping the thing up, and I am quite proud that I still put about 10k/year at 30+mpg.

So for about 50 more than I could buy a stock plastic tank unit, I got this, it is E36 specific though - so there might be some fitment issues, but from what I researched they should be minor - using bolts to attach shroud, perhaps a slight trim of shroud,and a close fit to the stock air box.

I am seeing blue residual leakage from neck area, it's probably due to the new expansion tank hose clamp not being tight, (the expansion tank hose cracked like a potato chip while taking it off during my idle control valve replacement) or else the plastic tank or outlet is going so I gotta do it pronto, really looking forward to itm along with all new pulley's and stewart pump. So it's 200k or bust for me at this point!

Cookie

Yes | No

I fitted both the Zionsville and the Stewart several years ago, the cooling system in my M is just one less thing to worry about in this busy world. I've had a couple of friends toast thier BMW engines with radiator and water pump issues, one of each.
    The rest of the car is so solid once you reinforce the rear that there is not much to worry about. I've had it for ten years or so and I won't be trading soon.

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

Mishimoto,SVL,etc..all look like they REQUIRE...

modification of stock air intake, or adding a CAI..due to the driver's side tank demensions..I'll be doing an Install of the Mishimoto e36 on a '98 2.8..sometime soon..will drop some pics&tips this way when completed...I'll mod the stock intake to increase overall airflow(equal M-Flow is goal)..Z3 Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R,+1

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Good Price!

ZGator

Yes | No

I did a quick measurement..

and looked in there, looks like I have an inch or 2, as long as it is not too fat or too much wider I don't see a physical restriction.. but it will be tight, found a couple posters that said they already used it and it did fit ('01 3.0 with stock airbox IIRC), and another that said e36 rads fit but reduce air intake slightly - at least cold air, I will found out soon enough, mine arrives mid next week.

Posting any pics or info is always appreciated!!

VSL and Mishimoto have exactly the same dimensions, specs, cost, almost as if same manufacturer..

ZGator

Yes | No

Here is a post I got: about VSL install in 99 2.8

"My VSL Radiator came with all mounting hardware including bolts for the fan shroud..... the Mishimoto looks exactly like the VSL so i wouldnt be surprised if it showed up with the bolts too :D

you wont have any issues with the stock airbox at all... it's all good other than some very minor plastic trimming of the shroud for a perfect fit.

i would recommend using some thread sealant on the coolant sensor threads and the drain plug as they are plain pipe threads."

I hope he is right, and that the 00 2.3 has similar stock airbox/rad spacing/config as the 99 2.8

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

If the dimensions are accurate: 27.7"wide...

..then the oem intake will not fit..the std rad has a cutout to allow the intake horn to "pass by"...Mishi, SVL e36 don't have the cutout..i don't see a problem with the oe airbox itself, just the airhorn..this is in reference to a '98 2.8 btw..I'll likely rebend/reflex of the airhorn to fit & add a lower path similar to the M style box(but with an intake next to the alternator cooling tube)..More Z3 fun! Yum!...Z3 Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R,+1

ZGator

Yes | No

Received my Mishimoto today

Good news:
    The top measures 26 1/4".

If you add the port for the fan switch sensor, with screw, then it's around 27", but not 27.7

Will let you all know if I have issues when I install it, should do it next week when my other parts come in..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information