+ Reply to Thread
    Robert

Yes | No

BMW E36 M3 thermostat question

How long does it take to warm up the 1997 BMW M3 E36 3.2l to the normal operating temperature, half gauge? When installing thermostat, the arrow on thermostat should be pointed up to the sky 12clock or left and down 8 clock? It seems to be warming up slowly staying on blue at gauge for a while, seems to be open, or i am getting wrong impression, anyone knows from the experience?

Registered Member
    Member No: 108840 AussieBob is on a distinguished road AussieBob's Avatar

Yes | No

A couple of minutes to get warm

Never really measured the time but it seems to be pretty quick, say 2 to 3 minutes to hit 12 O'clock on the engine temp dial.

Don't know if your engine has ever over heated but it happened with my E39 528i M52 engine and after replacing the cracked head and eventually the engine/head temperature sensor the temperature gauge operation was back to normal again. The sensor is just a temperature variable resistor so age and temperature stress will affect it's operation.

I guess if the thermostat is open all the time the engine will take longer to warm up, but this would be more of a failed thermostat than installation issue. If the thermostat opens at a lower temperature than it should this too will prolong the warm up time.

Robert

Yes | No

Re: how about thermostat arrow?

Well, the car overheated once, but it shouldn't have any effect on warming up, the car doesn't overheat, it just takes too long to warm up, stays on the blue at gauge too long.
    The temperature sensor that sends information to temperature gauge has been replaced, the thermostat wahler has been installed. Maybe it's clogged temperature sensor. Is it possible that new thermostat is stuck open and defective? How about thermostat arrow? It's pointed up, to the sky, 12 clock, old one was at 8 clock. I thought the old one was stuck open so I installed new one and now it even seems longer than the old one to warm up, it takes many minutes to reach 1/2 temperature gauge.
    It's warm outside and thermostat even new, may be defective. I do not think the gasket would cause any leak and delay of warm up, or over tightening thermostat bolts, maybe it's the arrow, maybe it should be at 8 clock.

Registered Member
    Member No: 46996 tjm3 is an unknown quantity at this point tjm3's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: BMW E36 M3 thermostat question

Any check engine light?

The engine needs to warm up and go into closed loop in a certain amount of time or it will set a code. No CEL usually means your still inside the OBD2 parameters.

Registered Member
    Member No: 49533 95DayVI is an unknown quantity at this point 95DayVI's Avatar

Yes | No

arrow is meaningless

_______
    Silicone intake boot
    Silicone rad hoses
    EMP Waterpump
    PWR Radiator
    Eyeball Arm CA mounts
    Sunbelt CAMS w chip for 24# injectors, Euro MAF, Conforti/ITG CAI
    96+ exhaust manifolds
    accessory UDPs
    M roadster lever
    Euro fLoAtErS
    GC RTAB shims, RSMs, T/S Coilover with Koni DA f/SA R & 450#f/550#r Eibach ERS
    All done in my garage

corkscrew:Laguna Seca

Robert

Yes | No

Re: no code no cel

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information