+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 182092 TWiseman is an unknown quantity at this point TWiseman's Avatar

Yes | No

2000 323CiC Top working but buttons are not

The top can open and close by holding the key in opening or closing position. However, the buttons at the bottom of the dash do not work at all. It's a little annoying having to bring two keys at all time or having to shutdown the car just to open or close the top. Any suggestions? Is it just a superficial contact problem with the buttons or something more serious? Is there any risk the key will stop working for the top too any time soon?

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

I can only guess...bad switch, maybe? Has...

Anything recently been spilled in the area of the switch?
    Photobucket

Registered Member
    Member No: 182092 TWiseman is an unknown quantity at this point TWiseman's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I can only guess...bad switch, maybe? Has...

I don't remember spilling anything myself . . . but one can never know what the kids did when taking the car out. LOL. Is the top operation via the keys an emergency operation procedure or something standard? Would there be any harm if I keep using the car keys instead of the buttons?

Registered Member
    Member No: 93023 Stinger9 is on a distinguished road Stinger9's Avatar

Yes | No

If someone were to take a logical troubleshooting

approach to your top operation, they would probably start with a simple check of your dash buttons. If you can eliminate that, then my next guess would be to suspect the electronic interface with the electric/mechanical system.
    I'd think the key operation will continue to work reliably as a separate system than the one that failed.
    Always best to walk your problems to a service center where someone with experience will do better than guessing. You want to search for a guy who starts to talk knowledgeably as soon as you start to describe your dilemma.

User Level 8
    Member No: 59049 hoscarnag has a little shameless behaviour in the past hoscarnag's Avatar

Yes | No

Shouldn't be a problem

Photobucket

Registered Member
    Member No: 16070 BlueMW is an unknown quantity at this point BlueMW's Avatar

Yes | No

You could also buy an after market kit that.....

allows opening and closing of the top using your key fob buttons.
    Bavarian sells a kit.

Heres some info about convert repair:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/101-Projects-74-Convertible/101-Projects-74-Convertible.htm

oc330cic

Yes | No

Top Operation via Dash vs. Key

Operation of the top is just a convenience feature.

The fact that it works when using the key indicates that your problem is in the dash switches, not the top itself. That's good news - repairs on the top itself can be very, very expensive. I had to replace the wiring harness in the top a couple of years ago, and it cost me $2400.

oc330cic

Yes | No

Re: Top Operation via Dash vs. Key

Oops, I meant to say operation by key is a convenience feature. It's not just for emergencies.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information