+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 22406 bfd is an unknown quantity at this point bfd's Avatar

Yes | No

E34 535i control arm bushing questions

OK, my 1990 535i, 5spd, 125K miles finally needs control arm bushings. A couple of questions:

1. one shop quoted $400 to replace with E32 750i bushings. Is $400 to press in and out a set of bushings a decent price?

2. should I go with the E32 750i bushings or replace with E34 M5 bushings? What's the difference?

3. should I replace anything else? Obviously, the shop may find other issues, but at this point they claim only the control arm bushings need to replace.

Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 147046 dusty21 is an unknown quantity at this point dusty21's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: E34 535i control arm bushing questions

I replaced the ones on my '90 535i 5sp with new
    control arms, complete with bushings and ball joints.

look at bavauto.com, I used the stock ones and they work fine
    for less $$$

Registered Member
    Member No: 79448 KangaBoy is an unknown quantity at this point KangaBoy's Avatar

Yes | No

You are talking about the thrust arms right? not control arms. I just replaced the LHS control arm for the second time, when I was having my thrust bushes done the mechanic (who is no longer my mechanic) couldnt get the thrust arm balljoint out, he heated the area till it was stinking hot, couldnt get it out, took ages, in doing this he ruined my brand new genuine Lemforder control arm balljoint...

He also ruined the thrust arm balljoint and I made him replace the whole arm with a s/h one and press the new bushing into it.

I went with 7 series heavy duty bushes, supposed to be a lot tougher than the stock ones but I wonder what I actually got brand wise once I found out what sort of butcher these guys were. My bushes have a green plastic end on each side which is supposedly for 7 series.

These days you can buy a pair of brand new arms with bushes already installed really cheap, on Ebay the stuff is everywhere.

One thing though, everyone I ever spoke to says stay away from OEM arms and stick with Lemforder for these parts, the OEM ball joints dont last very long. Having had Miele rear strut towers collapse after only 2 yrs and Miele front wheel bearings get sloppy in less than 2 yrs I am inclined to agree with this!

Registered Member
    Member No: 22406 bfd is an unknown quantity at this point bfd's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks. I always get control arm confused with thrust arms. Actually, the shop said the ball joints look good and recommended just replacing the bushings.

Wow, it sounds like that "mechanic" was a real hack. I would have found another one too.

The bushings with the green inserts are the ones from the E32 750i. It is my understanding that the big difference is that they are filled with liquid (oil?) to dampen the suspension. In contrast, I understand the E34 M5 bushings use a harder durometer rubber.

I agree that if you replace the arms, lemforder is the way to go. Most of the "cheap" parts on ebay are Miele, which I don't hear good things about or worse - chinese copies that are even worse!

Registered Member
    Member No: 79448 KangaBoy is an unknown quantity at this point KangaBoy's Avatar

Yes | No

Unless you really trust your mechanic I would take the time to check the balljoints yourself. I asked my new mechanic a few times to check, I could feel something worn, they told me we cant find anything wrong in the front end. While it was up on their hoist I grabbed a big screwdriver and checked the suspect control arm joint, damn thing moved up and down on the ball 2-3mm! All my other balljoints were tight. Very frustrating sometimes!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information