+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Tire road noise

I've been very pleased with my Goodyear F1 A/S tires I purchased 21,000 miles ago but the road noise is getting worse and worse as the tread gets nearer to the end. It is especially loud as you come to a stop from about 30 mph on down. I have a few thousand miles left on them in the rear but I'm already thinking ahead to another brand perhaps. I stopped in at a Firestone dealer just for grins to explain this same situation and if he had heard complaints about the Bridgestone Potenzas or any other info. He claimed that the staggerred setup of the Z3 compounded the noise factor and that I would experience the same thing with the Potenzas or any other brand. I sort of doubt it but what experiences have you had with tire road noise on the Z3 as the tread nears the end of it's life. Staggerred setup only please. Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 146192 s-retire is an unknown quantity at this point s-retire's Avatar

Yes | No

Never noticed this with staggered Mich PS-2s

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Re: Never noticed this with staggered Mich PS-2s

Thank you for the responses. Interesting. Anyone else, feel free to share your experiences.

Registered Member
    Member No: 177734 dougmcintyre is an unknown quantity at this point dougmcintyre's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Never noticed this with staggered Mich PS-2s

When ever I replace my PS-2s, I'm always surprised that the car is slightly quieter. If you want a quiet performance tire, the PS-2s are the only choice.

MicksZ3

Yes | No

Re: Tire road noise

I have Goodyears with the staggered wheels and have replaced the rear tires 3 times and the fronts once. Each time it was due to the noise with a fair amount of tread left. The rears always looked like they had plenty of tread left until I looked real close at the insides which wore down a bit more than the rest of the tire. But, each time I replaced them, it was because of the noise and not because of hitting the wear bars. The noise kind of creeps up on you and you don't realize how bad it is until they're replaced.

Time to replace the wheels, but not many choices for the staggered 17".

Registered Member
    Member No: 114606 droz3 is an unknown quantity at this point droz3's Avatar

Yes | No

Could your Goodyear be "cupped" ? Or other type of uneven wear ?
    Linky
    My 740i front tires were also noisy below 30mph, sounded like a faint buzzing below 30 mph. Sounded and "felt" like a pulsating buzzing at around 10mph and less.
    Tire shop looked at the tires and told me they were cupped.
    I replaced the front tires and the symptoms disappeared right away.

My Z3 specifications :
    2001, 3.0L, 5-speeds, Topaz Blue/ Sport package/ Premium package/ Stong-Strut front+rear+body/ Front shocks Bilstein HD/ Rear shocks Bilstein Sport/ Rogue Engineering rear shock mount/ Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/ CDV delete/ Double-Vanos Rebuilt/ Michelin PS2/ HardTop/ Jim Conforti CAI/ Jim Conforti Shark/ PIAA low+high+fog/ LeatherZ Mark2 armrest/ Front spoiler protector/ trunk organizer/ DRL module/ European Wiper Module/ Pioneer AVIC-N1 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+12CD CD Charger/ 5.25" MBQUART PCE213/ 4" MBQUART DKE110/ 6" Focal sub-woofer/ Memphis Belle amp 4x55W + 1x400W/ BMW mesh windscreen.
    I also have a 2001 740i Jet Black with Sports Package

NC02Z3

Yes | No

I have a very slight 'cupping' on the left front but after 21,000 miles I wasn't too worried about it. Was your car out of alignment or was it just a tire fault?

Registered Member
    Member No: 114606 droz3 is an unknown quantity at this point droz3's Avatar

Yes | No

That's the way the tires were when I bought the car, previous owner may have over inflated the front tires, rears were OK.
    Alignment was OK when I got the car but the dealer may have aligned the car before putting it for sale.
    My Z3 specifications :
    2001, 3.0L, 5-speeds, Topaz Blue/ Sport package/ Premium package/ Stong-Strut front+rear+body/ Front shocks Bilstein HD/ Rear shocks Bilstein Sport/ Rogue Engineering rear shock mount/ Ireland Engineering rear sub-frame bushing/ CDV delete/ Double-Vanos Rebuilt/ Michelin PS2/ HardTop/ Jim Conforti CAI/ Jim Conforti Shark/ PIAA low+high+fog/ LeatherZ Mark2 armrest/ Front spoiler protector/ trunk organizer/ DRL module/ European Wiper Module/ Pioneer AVIC-N1 GPS-Receiver+XM Radio+12CD CD Charger/ 5.25" MBQUART PCE213/ 4" MBQUART DKE110/ 6" Focal sub-woofer/ Memphis Belle amp 4x55W + 1x400W/ BMW mesh windscreen.
    I also have a 2001 740i Jet Black with Sports Package

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

12 years and all I’ve run with were Mich PS and Goodyear F1. I rank them equal on all grounds. Both were nice and quiet the first half of their life cycle. After about half the wear or even just enough years with limited use, they became noisier. The sound makes the car seem tougher and with more power. As long as handling is good why would the noise be an issue-?

If you’re new- beware that you can drop some dollars in trying to make things perfect like the tires and special alignment adjustments. Some folks burn through 2-3X the number of rear tires then front. Others like me rotate so that when the tires get changed they’re all the same. I’ve tried other tire brands on my other BMW’s and found that the best was Mich and Goodyear. I stick to what I know was good because changing brands in some cases was a huge mistake I found because they were real noisy to begin with or they had bad handling or they were stiff as cement slabs and so many other things different than what I liked. If you change brands, check if the tire shop has the option to swap tires with another brand if you dislike the original one you put on.

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Well I can't rotate. That is why I asked for responses from owners with the staggered set-up. The handling is still superb and I believe the alignment is fine. No unusual wear or obvious issues. No shaking at speed, just nothing to complain about BUT road noise. To me is not normal after having a nice quiet ride for so many miles. I am starting to feel that this is just a part of the bargain of having the staggered set-up and I just wanted to get others experiences with other brands. I'll live with it for another year if the noise doesn't get too much worse and start saving up the $800 for another set. Thanks for the Michelin PS vs Goodyear F1 experience. I also felt that they were very equal tires. I am leaning towards the Michelins this time based on what others have posted and some of the reviews on TireRack about Goodyear F1 A/S road noise after the 'halfway' mark. I love Goodyear tires and I am disappointed to read about the road noise issue even with owners that have equal tires all around.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information