+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 148047 ApocalypseNotNow is an unknown quantity at this point ApocalypseNotNow's Avatar

Yes | No

tried to replace the muffler hangers on my '88is

with the muffler in place i found it impossible to do this. i even undid the two metal muffler straps and lowered the muffler a bit to try to get the rubber doughnuts onto the fixed upper hangers but couldn't get then on. they're just too small when they are new.

i have the muffler hanging in place by a metal cord right now attached to the fixed hangers, with no rubber hangers at all, the old ones split. i'm obviously not gonna do any unnecessary driving for fear that the cord will come unhinged if i go over a bump.

any ideas? i'm thinking of bringing it into the shop on Monday...what would a thing like this cost.. thanks

Registered Member
    Member No: 148047 ApocalypseNotNow is an unknown quantity at this point ApocalypseNotNow's Avatar

Yes | No

so i call up Ronnie at Autotech this morning...

tell him the situation, he says he needs to see the car to give an estimate, i say i'll be right over.

i get there in my muffler challenged e30, he greets me with a handshake, i start talking about the 3 new rubber muffler hangers i have on hand and if he can still use them, he tells me that his minimum charge is $150, i ask him why didn't he tell me this over the phone, he says why didn't you ask...why didn't i ask? this is to hang 3 rubber muffler hangers which i brought with me willing to sign off on the parts warantee if need be.

i got mad, told him that i took a chance on him even after reading some negative reviews online and should have known better, and left.

Registered Member
    Member No: 31287 thomas309 is an unknown quantity at this point thomas309's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: so i call up Ronnie at Autotech this morning...

You don't say where you are, but that's a rip-off anywhere! If you're close (Connecticut), I'd do it for you. I'm sure there's someone here that could show you how, in about 10 minutes.

Chris_TN

Yes | No

Re: so i call up Ronnie at Autotech this morning...

You can try using a floor jack to help you.
    If not, it is easier to remove the hanger from the car side, slip it in the donut; then attach the hanger back to the car with it all in place.

Registered Member
    Member No: 29070 jackbaggins is an unknown quantity at this point jackbaggins's Avatar

Yes | No

Remember he's running a business, not a charity

If it's impossible for you, it will be at least difficult for him. Those donuts, especially when new, are a pain in the [Oops!]. I was going to suggest $100 range, so his price maybe a little high. This spring I paid $350 for a simple, custom cat back system from a local shop (with new hangers ;) ). The one job I will pay someone for is exhaust.

Good luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

got it done for $45 at a local muffler shop...

and yes, it was a royal pain in the a// even for the mechanic who has done this a million times. the point with Ronnie at Autotech (on Sepulveda and Venice in Los Angeles btw) is not what the guy charges but it's that he didn't tell me upfront that his MINIMUM is $150. knowing my story he had me drive out to him in a delapidated car with the muffler handing by wire and then spring on me his minimum rip off price. i'll never go back there.

Bad Email Address on File
    Member No: 128020 Carlin96M44 is on a distinguished road Carlin96M44's Avatar

Yes | No

I did have to use a jack to inst the muffler after

removing the same to allowed room to change the drive shaft guibo.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information