+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 143188 wcampbell6 is an unknown quantity at this point wcampbell6's Avatar

Yes | No

Pulstar Iridium Spark Plugs

I just got my order of 6 Pulstar Iridium spark plugs. They claim to provide better HP and Fuel economy due to a more efficient spark.

The idea makes sense, hopefully that will translate: Instead of a typical electric spark,it works like a camera flash; charging then pulsing all the energy at once. Check out their website for details.

Pulstar Spark Plugs

I saw these about 2 years ago and the price was almost double, so it's come down for one of two reasons:

1. They don't work and Pulstar is emptying their inventory
    or (I'm hoping)
    2. Technology developments have helped push the price down.

I'm planning on installing on my 2002 3.0. I think the original plugs are still in the car after 71K, so if nothing else I'll need to change them out.

I'll post an update if I can see any real results. I guess fuel economy will be the only real number I can use since I don't have a Dyno and I'm sure my mind will be tricked into thinking they've increased the HP.

Cheers and I'll keep ya'll posted.

Registered Member
    Member No: 90386 Monolith is an unknown quantity at this point Monolith's Avatar

Yes | No

If the Amazon reviews are any indication, I'd

pull the plugs after a couple hundred miles and check that all is well. For an accurate test, you'll want to put a new set of the same plugs you have in your car now and check mileage on a few tanks and then install the Pulstar plugs and note if there's any improvement.

Registered Member
    Member No: 143188 wcampbell6 is an unknown quantity at this point wcampbell6's Avatar

Yes | No

Good idea, but I'm not sure

that I'll do it. Shooting for this weekend currently, but if I pull out the old plugs and they're not too expensive, maybe I'll try this.

thanks.

robertplattbell

Yes | No

Go with stock plugs - same make, model and heat.

I hope these aftermarket plugs work out for you. For many people, aftermarket plugs can cause problems and thus are an expensive waste of money.

First, let me address the horsepower thing. Don't get your hopes up here. The flame front of the combustion cycle is what produces the pressure that generates horsepower. Spark plugs don't make horsepower.

Claims about increased horsepower from "hotter spark" from aftermarket plugs and coils are a little murky. Their theory is usually something along the line of a hotter spark making more reliable combustion (no misfiring) and thus more horsepower.

But modern solid-state coil-over ignition systems rarely, if ever, misfire, unless there is something wrong with them (You'd get a CE light, believe me).

So the claims of HP gains are basically bunk. Save your money on aftermarket "hot coils" and fancy plugs. They just aren't going to generate any more power over stock.

Now, for the downside.

Many aftermarket fancy plugs (usually marketed to young men) have the incorrect heat range. Bosch had this problem with some of their Platinum 4-prong plugs a while back. People would install them and the car would run like crapola. They would put the old plugs back in and the car ran fine.

The E36 board had a number of postings along this line and I had a similar experience with my Toyota. Put Bosch platinums in and it ran poorly. The heat range of the plug was too cold and it misfired.

So the upgrade ended up being a downgrade and I ended up throwing away the aftermarket plugs and buying a second set of NGKs.

I hope this doesn't happen to you! If you are lucky they will merely work as well as the stock plugs and all you've lost is maybe some extra dough you spent on the plugs over the cost of stock replacements.

By the way, many of the plugs on these cars can last up to 100,000 miles without replacement (the long life version). So replacing plugs every 30K or 50K miles is really just tossing money away. I've done mine (on three cars so far) at about 80K miles and the plugs I took out were just fine.

I've learned my lesson. I replace the plugs with the exact same make, model, part number and heat range as what came out. No sense messing with success and chasing aftermarket spark plug demons - and paying extra for the privilege.

Most of these "upgraded" parts just aren't. If you are lucky, the do no harm. If you are not lucky, well....

Good Luck!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Go with stock plugs - same make, model and heat.

Thanks for the advice.

Actually, now that you mention it, I had Platinum 4 plugs in my old 1.9 and after a while I started having issues with misfires. I replaced the spark plug wires and the plugs (with NKG's) and the issues went away. That was no doubt my problem.

After doing a little more research on the Pulstars, I'm really thinking about sending them back and just getting some standard plugs.

I'm such a sucker for these stupid gimmicky parts.

Thanks for the knowledge.

I'll let you know what I decide and if nothing else, I'll be the guinea pig who tests them out for the rest of us.

Cheers

Registered Member
    Member No: 81271 ExJxZ3 is an unknown quantity at this point ExJxZ3's Avatar

Yes | No

Just did mine at 95k, they were original

Even with 95k the old ones looked and ran fine, I used the stock NGKs, car runs just the same. I won't change them again for another 100k, god willing. What a joy this car is to work on, easier to do than my 2 cyl lawn tractor.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information