+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 163475 steveham21 is an unknown quantity at this point steveham21's Avatar

Yes | No

Help P0365 code again!

I have posted a few times over the last year about the sluggish response I have been dealing with and want to thank all of the replies trying to help.

After suggestions I have tested the fuel pressure, cleaned the MAF and all of the obvious tune up related item.

I have already replaced the exhaust cam sensor with an OEM part and come to think of it I believe it was about that time I started feeling no power at low RPM's, hesitation and stumbling not to mention the reverse stalling and surging (every day I back down the driveway)and today the SES light came on and I scanned the OBD and found the P0365 code again.

Yeah it could have been the sensor failing again but I am wondering what other conditions would cause the system to send that code. Basing my suspicions on it has been running poorly for a long time now. I love the car except for the AM radio reception and the recent issues with my passenger window regulator. I have replaced it with a $52 aftermarket one and it failed after 3-4 days. (The replacement failed in even less time so picked up the OEM unit today).

Garage kept it's whole life, want to keep it if I can but I need some power even from the 2.5

I have a 2001, 325i w/sport package, 5 speed manual.

Thanks in advance for your help
    SteveSteve H

Registered Member
    Member No: 163475 steveham21 is an unknown quantity at this point steveham21's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Help P0365 code again!

No suggestions?Steve H

Stinger9

Yes | No

If we knew, for sure we'd be

hooking you up with the info here. We're a relatively small group and eager to share the knowledge, but all-knowing we're far from.
    If no answers are posted, could be we're out of our league on this one.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Understood!

I realize this body style is losing forum traffic with the newer models.

Going to throw in another EX cam sensor #2 and maybe take it to the local West German shop in the Valley Forge/Philadelphia area before the weather turns!

Thanks for the reply Stinger!
    Steve H

Registered Member
    Member No: 19448 dembooks is an unknown quantity at this point dembooks's Avatar

Yes | No

not-Understood

get a fuel pressure test gauge

far more valuable than your code reader

ever replace the fuel filter? dump it out
    into a glass jar and see what's causing yer troubles

only through a BMW diagnostic computer will you
    accurately read codes and be able to read past into a
    tree of diagnosis.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: not-Understood

C.D., when I first posted my problem a year ago it was suggested to check fuel pressure which I did and the readings were perfect based on the Manual. I have replaced the fuel filter. Cleaned the MAF sensor.

But I am getting the P0365 now and after I clear it the light comes back on a day or so later.

So I have a new one on the way and if it persists I will be taking it to a local guy once I find out who is good in my area.

Thank you,
    Steve H

cgdR

Yes | No

Re: Help P0365 code again!

I would concentrate first on the P0365 error code. Are you sure that it's coming from the exhaust cam? I once had a confusion between the post-cat O2 sensors: the Bentley manual pointed to the wrong one for the code I was reading. Perhaps the same is happening to your cam position sensor?
    Is that the only error that you are getting? No Vanos errors, for example?

Registered Member

Yes | No

re: cgdR

Now that you mention it, my Bentley manual lists P1397 as the exhaust sensor code and P0340 for the intake.

When I do a search online "BMW P0365" I get the exhaust cam sensor but it is a generic code not specific to BMW. I believe my code book that came with my reader had that listed as well (currently misplaced)

So I am wondering now if that is in fact the correct code for my E46

I have a new genuine BMW cam sensor coming tomorrow so since I have it I will most likely install it since it is easy and only $95
    If anyone has the correct answer please do pass it on.

Thanks

Steve H

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information