+ Reply to Thread
    pappy routon

Yes | No

82 320I SORT OF BACKFIRES/SPUTTERS??

NEED HELP MY 82 320 IS BACKFIRES WHEN ON DOWNGRADE HILLS/ETC--SEEMS WHEN IN LOWER GEARS COMING DOWN HILL SHE SORT OF BACKFIRES IN EXHAUST SYSTEM?--JUST CHANGED PLUGS(GAP AT .24) CHANGED FUEL PUMP/FILTER--COIL/ROTOR/DISTRIBUTOR CAP/IGNITION MODULE/FUEL PUMP MODULE/AND CHANGED PLUG WIRES/----WHAT COULD CAUSE THIS?
    DOESN'T SEEM TO HAVE THE POWER IT ONCE HAD EITHER?
    THANKS FOR HELP--SUGGESTIONS--PAPPY

BG

Yes | No

Backfires?

As I recall, in the old days, backfiring often meant timing was off. And sputtering, on these cars, might be the infamous vacuum leak. All I can suggest is look at EVERY vacuum hose in the engine compartment, check the gasket at the oil dipstick, and check the gasket on the gasoline cap. The crankcase ventilation hose that comes out of the valve cover on top is a frequent culprit because it gets a lot of heat and cracks (items 9, 10, and 11 in the figure from Mobile Tradition). I have to replace mine about every 3 or 4 years. Fortunately they are cheap.

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

pappy routon

Yes | No

Re: Backfires?

THANKS BG
    COULD IT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE GAP OF THE PLUGS?? I HAVE TRIED BOTH .24 AND .28 THE RECOMMENDED GAP ON 82 320I BUT NOT SURE IF THEY SHOULD SET AT ANOTHER GAP TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE--WHAT YOU THINK?
    PAPPY

DHoang

Yes | No

If you're running too lean, this will cause backfiring as well.
    Lean condition on F.I. systems could be vacuum leaks, could also be intake or exhaust valves remaining partially open, could be a break in the cyl head gasket...

BG

Yes | No

About spark plugs

I recall experimenting with gap but it did not seem to make much difference. I think just installing nice clean spark plugs makes the biggest improvement on my 320i because they experience oil fouling over time. Sometimes I wish I did more highway driving, but my commute is only 4 miles, so the car is doomed to stop-and-go driving.

The Bosch platinum plugs do not work well for some reason. If using a single prong plug, definitely use the Bosch WR9DS silver plug. This is stock for the USA 320i.

Here is an alternative: The Dutch gent who runs the E21 Web Ring, Jeroen, emailed me many years ago about how many European drivers with M10 engines were using Bosch Super 4 WR78 plugs. These are not platinum but (I think) copper tipped. As you can guess, they are not imported to USA. I contacted Bosch and checked with race suppliers and other odd sources. So I buy them in Greece when I visit my mom on holiday. I have them in my car now. Once again, it is hard to tell if they work much better, but I think the highway mileage is better because I got 300 miles to a tank a few months ago.

Good luck.

BG

Yes | No

Glad you are back on the forum

I recall you provided lots of useful information many years ago. Do you have an E21 again?

pappy routon

Yes | No

Re: About spark plugs

THEY SOUND LIKE SOME I SHOULD TRY AS WELL--WAS JUST THINKING WITH LOTS OF MILEAGE ON THESE ENGINES--THEY MAY PERFORM BETTER WITH A WIDER GAP--? A MECHANIC FRIENF TOLD ME THAT AWHILE BACK--BUT NOT SURE -BUT PLAN TO TRY IT SOON--WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT GOES..
    THANKS AGAIN FOR HELP
    PAPPY

pappy routon

Yes | No

THANKS FOR INFO--WILL CHECK IT OUT----
    LATER---PAPPY

pappy routon

Yes | No

Re: Glad you are back on the forum

THANKS--TOOK ME AWHILE TO FIGURE THIS OUT....

BG

Yes | No

I meant welcome back Mr. DHoang

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information