+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 7324 tnkenyon is an unknown quantity at this point tnkenyon's Avatar

Yes | No

Warm restart issues - backfire etc

Hello all - I have been off the board for many moons, but still have the M5 - just not so much time to tinker with it anymore. Unfortunately I don't drive it enough either so it sits in the garage quite a bit. Not good. I do have an E60 wagon w/ standard shift that I use for work, so all is not lost.

The M5 still runs pretty well most of the time, especially at high rpm. But lately it takes about 30 secs of cranking to start it the first time (maybe just a consequence of sitting for 1-3 weeks). After it's warm it pulls great. But it can start acting up at low rpms/idle, and the rpms will drop and stumble. It can stall. But even if it doesn't stall, if I shut it down and try to restart a few minutes later, it usually won't. Then I will get some backfiring while cranking, and a few near-starts.

Now to confuse things more I have a Split-Second MAF. This happened tonight, and I got it start by dialing down the low throttle mixture. This was after it backfired a few times during several long cranking attempts.

It seems to be getting plenty of fuel (maybe too much, but the idle mixture once it is running is fine), so I am thinking maybe it needs a new coil. And/or the TPS is gunked up.

If anyone has had a similar issue and solved it let me know - thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 7324 tnkenyon is an unknown quantity at this point tnkenyon's Avatar

Yes | No

woops I meant ICV not TPS

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information