+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 87437 schwarz633 is an unknown quantity at this point schwarz633's Avatar

Yes | No

1982 out of storage .. won't fire up

My 1982 633CSI has been in heated dry storage for about 5 years. I put a new battery in it today and have got it spinning over, but no fire. I'm in SE Wisconsin so it's got the crap gas in it. I didn't treat the gas prior to storing. It was running fine when it went into storage. After cranking it for a while, I did notice some gas leaking back by the tank, so I'm pretty sure that the fuel pump is working. As I recall there's some hose clamps back there that I've had to tighten post-storage in the past. Any suggestions? Thanks.

mrGoodson

Yes | No

Drain the gas tank

fill it up with fresh 93Octane and just swap out the main relay.

Never assume it works, just swap it out. They are like $6 at Advance, just get a generic one and if you really want too, order a $50+ Bosch one later.

When I got my 6 it didn't start either...

If that doesn't work try these steps
    http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=160912&ck

Registered Member
    Member No: 87437 schwarz633 is an unknown quantity at this point schwarz633's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Drain the gas tank

OK, I found a bad fuel pump relay. The one that hangs upside down just in front of the fusebox. It's totally corroded inside. It's a 12V 30A 4 prong relay, no diode. Should I be able to find a suitable replacement at AutoZone, Advance, or O'Reilly?

mrGoodson

Yes | No

Yes. Should be under $10

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Yes. Should be under $10

OK, this is starting to get uber frustrating. I picked up a relay from O'Reilly (Dorman 84601) and when I was confirming the pin-out I found out that two of the terminals were reversed from the original relay. One coil terminal and one contact terminal are swapped. I'm an electrical controls engineer, so it's not like I don't know something about relays. Not to be defeated, I made up some jumper wires with male and female 1/4" push-on terminals so I could connect it properly. Still no go. I'm not getting any spark and I don't think that the fuel pump(s) are running either.

I have the spiral bound "Electrical Troubleshooting 630/633CSI" manual (1977-1982) and things just aren't matching up between the car and the schematics. I also just discovered two 25A fuses (wired in parallel?) on the inner fender just above the battery. They're the euro-style ceramic type with a thumbscrew cover, so I don't think that they're anything but original from the factory. These fuses don't show up anywhere on the schematics. The power to the fuel pump relay contact (terminal 30) appears to come from these fuses and is always on.

The fuel pump relay and purge valve relay locations are also reversed from the diagram in the manual. In the car the fuel pump relay is in front of the fuse box (outside) and the purge valve relay is on the engine side of the fuse box (outside), towards the front of the car. I'm pretty sure that I've identified these correctly, as the fuel pump relay has large gauge wires and the purge valve relay has small gauge wires.

I also removed and tested the main relay in the glove box and confirmed that there was power to it's coil wires when the key was on.

I also pumped all of the old gas out of the tank and put in 10 gallons of fresh.

I've given up for today, but hope to spend some more time on it tomorrow.

I think I will begin with removing the ECU connector and seeing if it's getting any power. Maybe my ECU is bad, as it doesn't seem to be turning on the fuel pump relay.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

schwarz633

Yes | No

Re: Yes. Should be under $10

continued here:

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

Distributer cap contacts are probably coated with

electrolisis so bad the spark cant get through...had this hapeen twice after storing. The first time took 3 days to figure out because 'I knew it all'...second time took 3 minutes to figure out...both had the same problem.

Homer

Yes | No

Experience Is The Great Teacher

Makes one think that maybe individual coils isnt such a bad idea.

Ray7er6ers5er3er

Yes | No

And a hard teacher. Good point on coils ..but

the price is a problem for only THAT improvement.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information