+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 100792 jenniferimai is an unknown quantity at this point jenniferimai's Avatar

Yes | No

e30 replacement gears update

The odometer on my e30 325is stopped working recently. When I pulled the cluster, I can see bits of black near the gears so I think one of them is broken. I was told that it is common for the bigger gears to stick to the shaft and then break the smaller gear.

I thought the price of the repair shop (approx.$130 with cluster removed) was expensive, but then when I saw that the price of the gear set is $85 + tax and SH, it seems more reasonable.

Are there any cheaper alternatives? I read about junkyard and superglue replacements, but it seems like those will just break again in the future.

Anyone have experience ordering and replacing the gears from odometergears.com or know of any other sources?

Thank you

ScottJ

Yes | No

Re: e30 replacement gears update

I have used odometergears.com for three repairs already. Well worth the money and the only place to get them. I am now careful to only reset the trip odometer when the car is not moving. The stress of resetting while the mechanism is moving contributes greatly to the failure of the gears.

Scott

Registered Member
    Member No: 117731 jlevie is an unknown quantity at this point jlevie's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: e30 replacement gears update

Replacing the gears is no big deal once the speedometer is out of the cluster and odometergears.com is as good as any other source.Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL
    BMWCCA 335857
    http://www.bmwcca.org

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information