+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Misiek

Yes | No

Cold air intake

Hi all,

It has been a while since I was on the forums. I'm not sure if SDMac has completed work on cold air intake kit for XK8 and XKR. I was talking to friend of mine about making a cold air intake kit at local performance shop here in Orlando, FL. They build twin turbo mustangs for drag racing. Would anyone else be interested in a cold air intake for an XK8? Mine in an 4.0L AJ27, it would probably fit later models as well. The guys at the shop told me I'd be a guinea pig for the development, so I don't know the price yet. Please post if you would be interested.

Best,

M

Registered Member
    Member No: 177653 RichXK8 is an unknown quantity at this point RichXK8's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Cold air intake

Why not just buy one from MINA Gallery, I did, installation was easy and it works great. Deep throaty sound when you get on it.
    http://www.minagallery.com/

jgaxkr

Yes | No

I have a 3.5" air intake pipe made up for your car that will go to your air meter, then you need to run the pipe out into the wheel arch. The setup sold by Mina sounds nice but is nothing but a hot air system that sounds better. You will find in traffic that type of setup will in fact make the car slower. If you are interested I can send you many photos of a true cold air intake system.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I hear what you are saying and I appreciate the offer however, when we supercharged my son's 2001 Mustang Cobra it came with a system that placed the filter behind the front bumper. When we took it to have a performance tune done the tuner removed that set up and went to the same arrangement Mina has, the tuner said the filter was too far from the MAS and cost him HP. After the tune He had 560 RWHP. I also figure that if the same set up is used by Roush, Shelby and others it can't be too bad. All this is just my point of view and nothing more.

jgaxkr

Yes | No

I here what you are saying about the air intake, that is why I had a custom air meter made which is also 3.5" so no restriction on flow. The intake assembly was flow tested & a screen was actually added to the pipe, similar to what Jag used to use on the old XJ40. I think one of the reasons Ford use the filter under the hood is to avoid having to modify the bodywork, there set up is bolt on drop in under the hood. Please post photos when your project is complete & best of luck.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I couldn't get the pictures inserted so they are in Photobucket at the below link. I hope.

As you can see I finished off thr hole in the fender well and painted inside the fender so the Topaz was not visable. System seem to work pretty well.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Let me try this again.

As you can see I finished off thr hole in the fender well and painted inside the fender so the Topaz was not visable. System seem to work pretty well.

http://s467.photobucket.com/albums/rr33/rek44/Air%20Intake/

Gabriel

Yes | No

Looks good. I agree, if it's good enough for Ford I've got to believe it's good enough for a Jaguar 4.0 with a starved intake. Nice job. Sounds so much better doesn't it? If you didn't replace the bend on top of the throttle body, that's another improvment. Just replace it with a 90' bend. It was a big difference on my SVDP 4.0.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanks, it really does run better, still getting freash air from the fender well. I can't say it's cold air here in Florida. What did you use to replace it with?

Registered Member
    Member No: 159550 orchard21 is an unknown quantity at this point orchard21's Avatar

Yes | No

Looks like its getting hot air from the engine compartment now, bad for horsepower... The factory set up IS a cold intake, it gets fresh air from outside the hot engine bay.. It is however somewhat restrictive

PMCook

Yes | No

I have a K&N on my Ford Ranger truck. My experience is it only works at the high end. The Jag power curve I saw showed the HP increase above 7K RPMs. My engine doesn't spend a whole lot of time in that range. My hands on experience with the truck is that despite the K&N claims, the increased airflow is achieved by less filtering. After 10K miles you will see increased deposits in the TB and MAFS. If you do go with one, the rule I learned is always run the filter dirty. It filters better dirty than clean.

Registered Member
    Member No: 164640 dallas702 is an unknown quantity at this point dallas702's Avatar

Yes | No

You are correct, and I don't know why car guys can't see this! ANY air filter device that takes air into the intake from under the hood is a HOT air intake....very, very HOT compared to what you'd get from in front of the car.

The "cold air intake" as marketed is the biggest scam since those phony gas mileage increasers of the '80's and the "turbo gadgets you stick in your TB. THINK about it!

Have you ever seen a dragster or ANY race car with an intake in the engine compartment within inches of the hot exhaust? NEVER!

seismicguy

Yes | No

I guess the only thing you can argue is that there is still the opening that the old airbox fitted into so, presumably, some air from outside is still getting in. Of course most of the sucking with the aftermarket ones I have seen for XK8/XKR is still from within the engine compartment.

Doug

Registered Member
    Member No: 180578 JustNeil is an unknown quantity at this point JustNeil's Avatar

Yes | No

Here in Phoenix I think the air from right around the engine is actually cooler than the outside air as its in the shade :-)

RichXK8

Yes | No

I had planned not to make any further entries on this topic but I thought that with all these experts on the air intake system that maybe they should share their knowledge with Shelby and Roush since they both use the same filter configuration on their 500+ HP Mustangs. The filter is sealed from the open engine bay and most of the air intake comes from the same opening as the restricted factory filter. And maybe GM needs to be notified that they are damaging the engines on all the new Corvettes by using the K&N type filter. Now I am done with this topic.

Gabriel

Yes | No

In sport mode my SVDP would not break the tires loose on launch. After replacing the air filter box with a cone filter, the tires went up in smoke. It was a huge difference. Same on downshifts. This wasn't seat of pants feel or me thinking it was different from the sound of the engine.

Replacing that attachment point with a 90' tube was just as big of a difference. Jaguar did the same thing with that old XR180 which they claimed 450 hp from. Different intake, exhaust and pully

Maybe on a non supercharged engine you don't see that much of a difference but on my car there was a big one.

http://www.jaguar-enthusiasts.org.uk...180-engine.jpg

jgaxkr

Yes | No

I think our resident expert seems to forget that what GM & Ford do has to be certified with the EPA, so they have less flexability than others in the aftermarket. They have long term emissions as well as cost to modify an existing design to consider as well. I must say the intake setup is very neat but not very efficent as it draws in the air thru the factory hole as well as underhood. It should defenitally make more noise to simulate an increase in power, as well as increase air intake temp.

PMCook

Yes | No

Performance always involves tradeoffs. Sure you can boost the performance of an engine all kinds of ways but the price you pay comes later down the road with increased internal damage and higher repair costs. Simple as that. Sure the K&N gives you more HP if you are a serious leadfoot and anyone with a Roush upgrade surely enjoys that end of the RPM guage. But you can expect shorter engine life and that's the tradeoff. My experience was my truck's TB needed a serious cleaning after 10K miles with a K&N. It was clean as a whistle at 35K miles when I installed the K&N. More air means less filtering. Less filtering means you'll be cleaning your TB more often. No free lunches when it comes to boosting performance.

Steve M

Yes | No

Ahh, the brilliance of GM. They failed pretty miserably I would say.

seismicguy

Yes | No

It looks like you still have the 90-degree turn but it is smoothed out a bit with the tube shown in the picture. So where can you get one of these inlet tubes with smoothed bends?

Doug

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information