+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 146961 z32000 is an unknown quantity at this point z32000's Avatar

Yes | No

automatic top not working

So Iím trying to fix my automatic top. It stopped working 3 months ago and members have been saying to go to the driver side door and look over your left ear (under the top felt). There is supposed to be some electronic device with two wires leading into it. Iím supposed to cut the wires and put them together. Problem is where are these two wires and the electronic device that members are talking about? (I took pictures below.) Please point it out.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

There is a micro switch in the....

hinge where the front section of the top folds and many times that is what fails HOWEVER, there are also some switches at the bottom of the top on the drivers side near the well that also fail (mine did and when replaced, no more problems).

Scott

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: There is a micro switch in the....

is it under the top lining? I took pics of what was not only visible but realistically accessible. Or can I only see it when the top is partially folded?

Scottymac

Yes | No

Also a switch in the brake pedal

Had to replace the switch under the brake pedal. Top stopped working periodically. The switch showed up on the error code when I went to the dealer. It may be worth getting a code dump to make sure you are looking at the correct switch.

Registered Member

Yes | No

top lining

I'm ruling out that brake switch since I'm not getting any errors on the dash. If anyone can give me more info on how to find the switches on the top. As you can see, I took pictures of what can be accessible and do not see any switches? Am I suppose to remove the top lining to find it or manual try to retract the top?

Registered Member
    Member No: 170217 Giznaz is on a distinguished road Giznaz's Avatar

Yes | No

The switch is located within the metal frame

of the top, and isn't readily apparent. Lifting up the edge of the liner would expose it, but you still might not see it. Something to do with BMW not wanting it to stand out and be an eyesore.

If this picture shows up, it is part #31, and fits on the inside of the rail, right next to the number 37. In fact #37 looks like it might be the keeper for the hardware that mounts the switch

Registered Member

Yes | No

update

Okay, so I donít quite understand what is going on.
    So I went ahead and cut the top switch as suggested. I placed the two wires together and still did not hear the motor even after making sure there was good contact.
    So I almost gave up and went to make sure the fuse was good (fuse #1). There was no problem with it, but I changed it out for the heck of it. Then tried to lower the top again. Still nothing. I even took out the connect of the button switch and put it back in. Still nothing!
    So I got the millimeter and tried to get the voltage of the two cut wires. I was actually getting a low reading. I tried to get the reading a few times. All of a sudden, on the fourth reading the voltiage jumped up which was odd. So I put the wires together and then I could hear the top motor running. Of course, I didnít fully retract it. I put it back and then spent some time trying work on soldering the top switch back on with a little bit of an extension (Since when I cut the wires, you lose length when you twist them back together). Once back together, it went back to not working again!!!
    So I removed the top switch and twisted the wires together to see if it works. Now itís not working! Does this mean itís something else besides the top switch?

Registered Member
    Member No: 90386 Monolith is an unknown quantity at this point Monolith's Avatar

Yes | No

Sounds like a break in your wiring.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Sounds like a break in your wiring.

i'd like to rule out that there is nothing wrong with the actual button (switch for the top). Could this still be the issue?..Anyone know if it is a common problem with Z3's?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information