+ Reply to Thread
    Z3NH

Yes | No

Just picked up a new to me 2000 Z3 Roadster

Nice car....drove it over 700 miles to get it home and noticed after washing it that water leaked into the passenger compartment floor area. I traced it to coming in from the rear of the convertible top. I haven't dug into it yet but as it was recently replaced, I suspect something amiss where it connects to the chassis.

I have the automatic transmission. With the top up and hence very little wind noise, I found the rear differential to be a whine a bit more than I'm comfortable with. Is this normal or should I suspect something starting to go? I have a Toyota pickup that has the same issue but despite that it's still going strong at 220,000 miles.

Perhaps I'm being paranoid but thought I'd check with other owners.

Thanks,
    Z3NH

Ja_Spur

Yes | No

diff whine is perfectly normal.....

because you're practially sitting on it. It's just behind the bulkhead behind the seats. Welcome, I'm sure you're going to enjoy your Z :)

Ja_

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

I have a 2000 2.8 and have the..

same issue. I did have it service while it was still under warranty and they replaced the unit.

I suggest that you check / replace the diff fluid.

Are you coming to ZFest? We would love to see the new ride!

Scott Pettit

Registered Member
    Member No: 13295 bryanclar is on a distinguished road bryanclar's Avatar

Yes | No

Welome!

This is a great forum for almost anything you'll need for your car. A few searches and/or a post will fix almost anything.

Scott (posted below) is president of the ZSCCA (Z Series Car Club of America). It's a great group that goes on drives, fix-its, etc., all around the country. ZFest - the annual gathering - is next weekend in LA (Los Angeles, not Louisiana). He's put on a great event and if you're able, it would be worth attending. There is also a small gathering over Labor Day at the BMW plant in SC (search the boards below for that info) if you can't get to the west coast.

It looks like you're in NH. This is great time of year for drives up in the northeast. Keep an eye out on the ZSCCA site for info about them, and maybe even organize one if you can. The DC chapter usually has a good one through Shenandoah around October-ish if I remember right.

Oh yeah, LINK FOR ZSCCA with lots of good info if you're interested.

Welcome to Z Land. It's a blast. I've had mine for 10 years and hope to keep it another 50. Post pics when you get a chance!

97 2.8 Arctic Silver - Tanin Red interior with wood console - black top
    Whalen Shift Machine, polished - Type II windscreen (non roll-hoops) - Bilstein HD shocks/struts
    Axxis Metal Master pads - Brembo rotors - Doug Whalen seat bushings
    Passenger Eject (unfortunately non-functional) - OEM Passenger Airbag Disable switch
    Polk Audio all around - Blaupunkt PA amps - LeatherZ Mark II armrest - Strong Strut Trio - AUX input via tapedeck

Registered Member

Yes | No

ummm...Welome is Kyrgyz for welcome :-)

Whalen Shift Machine, polished - Type II windscreen (non roll-hoops) - Bilstein HD shocks/struts
    Passenger Eject (unfortunately non-functional) - OEM Passenger Airbag Disable switch
    Polk Audio all around - Blaupunkt PA amps - LeatherZ Mark II armrest - Strong Strut Trio - AUX input via tapedeck

Registered Member
    Member No: 163777 bonbon is an unknown quantity at this point bonbon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: diff whine is perfectly normal.....

When I got mine I felt the same.
    I had the diff fluid replaced and thought that it got better (but I think that I was just fantasizing)

Registered Member
    Member No: 36881 dpak is an unknown quantity at this point dpak's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Welome!

You will enjoy this car immensely. I have a red one, same year, with 120K on it and just returned from a 52 day, 9844 mile trip around the western two thirds of America. The car handled great with out a single incident. Mostly US routes with some interstates. check out my travel blog at www.hickoryclazzic.blogspot.com.

This chat bhoard is a great resource with generally good adevice and some great advice. Any problems you have with your car, more then likely, someone else had the same ones and can describe their resolutions to them.

Be careful if you ask about modifications, cause most of us have made some and are happy with them.

Enjoy the ride, you'll never regret it.

CD Clazzic Don-NC
    '00 2.3 Hellrot II Roadster - TESSI, WSM(C), Z3ST
    If this is "midlife crisis," I'll take it

Registered Member
    Member No: 167837 Bob2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point Bob2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

Now for the leak....

The water could be from several locations, window seal alignment, rear window,(not likely with a new top...but...) or the seal at the top to top well. I included a link to instructions on how to change a top so you can look over the details. Welcome!

Z3NH

Yes | No

That's extremely helpful. Thanks.

I know the leak is coming from the back of the top around where it joins the chassis. I'm getting drips into the trunk and have followed the wet line from "somewhere" in that area down to the passenger seat where the majority of the water settles.

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

My '97 has "growled" a bit since p/u at new...

...as long as it's a throaty bass noise: probably normal..I increased the insulation in the trunk and it practically went away..
    ..Z3Cheers! dk'97 2.8 bg R

Registered Member
    Member No: 12416 ZeattleDave2002 is an unknown quantity at this point ZeattleDave2002's Avatar

Yes | No

Kyrgyz - can I buy a vowel...all of them?

Boston Green M Roadster

Registered Member
    Member No: 167837 Bob2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point Bob2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Kyrgyz - can I buy a vowel...all of them?

I'm thinking of raising money to send them vowels. They are obviously in desperate need.

Registered Member

Yes | No

They have vowels, and a few extra consonants...

They just don't have them in the right places!

This says "Belogorka." It's a canyon nearby with a pretty cool waterfall I saw last weekend.

This just says, "STOP." Written in Russian, but prounounced in English. I guess it's universal now.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information