+ Reply to Thread
    jim86325es

Yes | No

Son buying car...

Hi Gang,

I am working with my 19 year old son looking for a car. We found an 85 735i (Search: Craigslist/California/Los Angeles... and search for posting # 1928764002

I haven't called the guy to see how many miles it may have... but was wondering if the E30 gang could give me some information on this particular model and which questions I may want to ask him before I decide to make the 130 mile trek west. (The E23 forum isn't quite as active, and I know the E30 gang is quite knowledgeable).

My son is a musician... carries gear and friends occasionally... so a 5 or 7 series works for him. But we may keep looking for a 3 series, older model.

I appreciate any advice and guidance you can share.

Thank you,

Jim

Registered Member
    Member No: 148047 ApocalypseNotNow is an unknown quantity at this point ApocalypseNotNow's Avatar

Yes | No

you're asking a biased crowd here :))

i personally would stay away from older 7 series. they are too expensive to maintain and guzzle gas. if he absolutely needs a larger car then at least stick to a 5 series. the E28 is a great alternative to an E30. stick shift is a must and the basic 528e shares the same engine with the 325/e. and don't be afraid to pay a premium for a low mileage well documented specimen. the money you pay upfront means less headaches later.

consider getting a car from California/South West. they are cheap here and have no rust.

User Level 1
    Member No: 186000 lovebug653 is an unknown quantity at this point lovebug653's Avatar

Yes | No
    A 3 series is a 2 person car, a 5 series seats 4 in comfort and is still affordable to service. 7 series are for those with money and an engine lift. I once looked at a 750iL No one at BMW would suggest I buy the car. I was told "EVERYTHING" was a major job on the car.

I DJ and considering the cost of Gas and ownership, I factor the cost of truck rental and gas into my price and simply rent the appropriate size truck for my needs.
    Last edited by lovebug653; 05-07-2011 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 173.56.56.30

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information