+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Slim

Yes | No

Well if you really want to be realistic, then

you could look around at what any used car is going for today, not just BMW's. You'll see that they're all taking a beating in terms of resale. I'm amazed at what I could move into today that I couldn't have moved into just a year or two ago. And I'm equally amazed at how little my pristine E46 M3 Comp is worth.

What's going on isn't unique to BMW's. It's not even unique to cars. The economy just plain sux right now.

As far as this guy's $750 Z3, I have to agree with those that think he got a good deal. Sure, he's going to have to put a little into it, but that's the fun (for some of us anyway) and he fully expects it's going to cost more than the initial outlay.

Slim

jcnnjc

Yes | No

Re: Is the Z3 the next 2002?

The 2002 was MUCH harder than the Z will be, I should find the before photo;s of the rusted out 02, I put on fender flares, because I thought they looked cool, but mostly because the fenders had a lot of rust in them! I had tons of fun with that car! I sanded down the trunk lid and re-shot it today, yesterday I got the license plates yesterday so it legal to drive now, I am waiting on some parts in the mail, I did take it for a drive and it drove and ran great! So far it seems to be a great deal! after I finish with the Z, I will try to find another 2002!

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Good deal, but like you say....

Maybe on a good day, it might be a $2500 car. So $750 is less than half price, but still maybe only a $1500 bargain. We're not talking a lot of money in the greater scheme of things.

Cars like this can need $5000 in repairs in short order - and maybe go 50,000 miles before crapping out completely.

Cars get old, period. There reaches a point in the Weibull distribution (or Bathtub curve) where it makes no economic sense to repair them anymore - as everything breaks at once.

Whether it is the hoover dam, the space shuttle, or a Z3, all engineering systems basically follow the weibull curve in terms of failure modes.

The trick is to know when you reach that bend in the curve and stop throwing money at it.

Usually if the door hinges are shot, that is a miner's canary...

FWIW.

Registered Member
    Member No: 137811 mikepatterson is an unknown quantity at this point mikepatterson's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Is the Z3 the next 2002?

I live in Newnan/Sharpsburg area, would be interested in buying that Z for my wife, or just meeting up to have a beer and talk cars.DconBlueZ
    Sharpsburg,GA USA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information