+ Reply to Thread

Thread: top leaks

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 66713 shoff535 is an unknown quantity at this point shoff535's Avatar

Yes | No

top leaks

I can't link to any photos (but I can email them)but basically, on the drivers side just below and forward of the rear window the top has come loose from its mounting just below the rear fender. generally from an appearance point of view this isn't a problem (the top tucks below the rubber molding and looks normal), however, if it rains I get a pretty good seepage into the rear deck and then into the truck, ultimately collecting in the battery compartment. Is there a way to repair this on my own or do i have to take it to a shop? Sadly, this is the only car I do not have a bentley manual for so I can't check the "body" section on my own.

tiaSteve
    85 535i 5sp
    87 325iC 5sp
    91 535i 5sp (RIP) 8^(
    96 328ic 5sp
    01 Z3 5sp

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

If you remove the rear deck carpet..it should be..

more obvious as to a fix..I noticed the frame/seal screws in side/wing areas on another Z3 had been considerably loose(you'l find them behind the deck carpet)..you might get away with just tightening the lower seal/frame screws..but likely you will need to tinker with the frame and add some sealant(the icky-sticky black stuff)..fixable with some effort methinks.. "sadly", Bentley wouldn't help much with this issue in any case..Z3Cheers! dk'97 2.8 bg R,+1

Registered Member
    Member No: 170217 Giznaz is on a distinguished road Giznaz's Avatar

Yes | No

Vinci and I have replaced our roofs, he wrote

a very good DIY.

Within this dissertation is how to seal the sealing frame and tack strip, as well as how to access it. Basically a putty tape, and tighten the bolts, but there is a bit more to it, of course.

You can just get those pieces loosened and moved enough to work the problem correctly.

The extra fast fix is to partly raise the roof and use flowable silicon sealer. I'm not sure what you would end up with as far as a mess, or hard spots after it cures.

Registered Member
    Member No: 66713 shoff535 is an unknown quantity at this point shoff535's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: top leaks

all,
    both of your comments are just great, thank you. I found the link to Vinci's tutorial amazing and it will help quite a bit.

i have included a few photos here. it looks like my problem is due to the top coming out of or loose from the sealing frame (step 14 from the tutorial)
    Steve
    85 535i 5sp
    87 325iC 5sp
    91 535i 5sp (RIP) 8^(
    96 328ic 5sp
    01 Z3 2.5 5sp

Registered Member

Yes | No

It came off the tack strip. Two choices. . .

There really is only one choice, but two makes you feel better!

Take the top off and repair it, or replace it. If you get the top off, why repair it? You are at least half way to a full replacement at that point.

Next choice: OEM or aftermarket. Both have their pluses and minuses.

Ask as many folks as you can, and that is how many opinions you will get on the subject.

Me? I'll go OEM again when the time comes, because the top is absolutely complete, and it just becomes wrench twiddling. Yes it costs more. I think it's worth it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: It came off the tack strip. Two choices. . .

the problem is, this top is only a few (2 or 3) years old.
    considering I really haven't read past step 14 yet, my thoughts were to loosen the strip and "grab/pull/pry/push" the edge of the top down to where the sealing frame can now hold it properly. does that seem improbable that that would work?Steve
    85 535i 5sp
    87 325iC 5sp
    91 535i 5sp (RIP) 8^(
    96 328ic 5sp
    01 Z3 2.5 5sp

Registered Member

Yes | No

Not likely. It did look fairly new, but. . .

There are two strips back there. The Sealing Frame, and the tack strip. The top canvas is stapled into the tack strip, and the sealing frame essentially covers the staples, making a top sandwich. If you look at the bottom of the material, you can see either tears, or pulled out staples, where they belong. At this point, take it to a top shop for repairs. The sealing frame seals against the body with butyl tape, the sealing frame, top and tack strip make a sandwich, again with butyl tape in there for sealing, then all of it gets bolted into the car.

You could unbolt the sealing frame from the back, and unbolt the top frame itself, and remove the entire roof from the car, and repair it that way. Probably the easiest way to get at it.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Not likely. It did look fairly new, but. . .

ahh crap! (it's always a bit more involved than at first blush).

yeah, you can definitely see where the staples pulled through...so, my only option is: to unbolt the sealing frame from the back, and unbolt the top frame itself, and remove the entire roof from the car, and proceed...
    definitely will have to spend some time thinking on this. fortunately I have no rush or need to get it done right away.
    Steve
    85 535i 5sp
    87 325iC 5sp
    91 535i 5sp (RIP) 8^(
    96 328ic 5sp
    01 Z3 2.5 5sp

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information