+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    User Level 1
    Member No: 202924 E31Ron is an unknown quantity at this point E31Ron's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hi M6BigDog:

This thread ends with your offer to make PDFs of SIBs 61 10 90 and 61 06 91, neither of which are easy to find on the Web.

Could you still do this? I would very much appreciate it -- either post them here, or PM them to me. Or PM me for my personal email address to send them directly.

Thank you so much,

-- E31Ron

Quote Originally Posted by m6bigdog View Post
    They are both in the 2/98 TIS CDROM.
    I can also make a PDF of these documents.

I'm unsure when these SIBs were dropped from the TIS but I know there not in the 12-2002 version TIS I've been using.
    All I can say BMW hasn't made it easy to acquire and archive repair and service documents.

Rod...
    BMWCCA GGC
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 172.68.54.69

User Level 1

Yes | No
    Update re SIB 61 10 90 and 61 06 91 availability: they are both on mu 10/2001 version of TIS, which is a big improvement over 02/1998.

However, they are not very useful. What IS useful is SIB 61 08 90 from September 1990, which outlines all the reinitialization required if power is completely lost to the car for more than 1 hour -- EML, EGS, LSM, ZKE, MID and Radio.

I can send a PDF of this to anyone who is interested.

-- E31Ron

Unregistered

Yes | No
    Ron,

You posted: "Update re SIB 61 10 90 and 61 06 91 availability: they are both on mu 10/2001 version of TIS, which is a big improvement over 02/1998."

I'm a newbie, just bought a '97 840Ci about 2 weeks ago. Could you please respond with a way to access these TIS updates? I'd love to get them via e-mail attachments if that is possible.

Thank you for your assistance.

Gary Knox direct e-mail: kittyandgary 'at' verizon 'dot' net.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 162.158.78.93

User Level 1

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    Ron,

I'm a newbie, just bought a '97 840Ci about 2 weeks ago. Could you please respond with a way to access these TIS updates? I'd love to get them via e-mail attachments if that is possible.

Hi Gary:

Welcome to the 8 Series community!

You have a weird and wonderful learning curve ahead of you if you want to know everything there is to know about these great cars.

The first thing to know is that technologically, the 840 is almost a different animal from the 850. The 850 is much more complicated than the 840 because it is a V12 made up of 2 straight sixes glued together in a 60-degree V, and so it has two of everything, that needs to be made to work together.

The 840 is a straightforward V-8, and more technically up to date for its time, as well as being simpler in principle, while almost as powerful. Many upgraded technologies were introduced on the 840 at its debut in 1994 that were not on the earlier 1991 850, and did not migrate to the 850 until 1996 or later.

So in reading online, you will need to be keenly aware of what vehicle line you are reading about within a post.

The second thing to know is that while Roadfly used to be the go-to place online for the 8 Series, that honor now resides with the 8-Series Forum on Bimmerforums. That's where the current dialog takes place. But Roadfly's archives on the 8 Series are invaluable, so keep that in mind.

Regarding Service Information Bulletins, these are internal documents circulated to dealers by BMW, and none of the currently distributed ones would be of any value regarding cars whose production was discontinued nearly 20 years ago.

The ones I am discussing relate strictly to the 850, and so are not relevant to you. However, all SIBs from that era were included in TIS, which was a CD-based technical information system of that era for dealers that could be loaded on a Windows XP PC as a standalone product.

The references to dates in my post have to do with BMW eliminating most SIBs regarding the 8-Series by TIS releases in 2003, rendering them useless to us. The most recent I have found still containing 8-Series information is the release of 10/2001. TIS CDs are widely available on eBay, but generally of more recent vintage.

I would suggest you only get into all of this slowly, and only as the need presents itself, otherwise you could be spending 100% of your time involved in the arcana of the wonderful 8-Series.

The best place to start will be via Google, and in particular on Bimmerforums.

Good luck, and enjoy driving your wonderful car!

-- E31Ron

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information