+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

A friend is buying a 2000 2.3 with....

65k miles. It's an automatic and she is having an independent shop do the pre buy inspection. Aside from the welds, is there anything else that I can recommend that she have checked. The seller is a BMW dealer who has indicated that her brakes will probably need new pads and rotors "down the road" at a cost of about 500 bucks. They are asking 13k out the door.

Any thoughts. Personally, I think it is way overpriced.

Scott Pettit
    ZSCCA

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

and youy are CORRECTOMUNDO!...

..prices have sure "fluc'd" lately..with dealers taking the Hi-line of late..but that price is so out of line..auto's go for less, and at 65k, it'll need at least a grand in parts/labor just with the cooling system overhaul(Radiator, pump, all hoses, belts, possible clutch fan,possible thermostat/housing..OE COOLANT, and clamps,etc)..and 10-1 it needs a vanos oil line, probable top or at least a rear window..then there's the glove box slump, the seat shiskabobing to do.then there's the ohsoneeded "fullfluidchange"..everything!(BIG BS to BMW's lietime(sic)Fluid schedule, ha courtesy MR Freud!)..etc..so i bet she drops at least two large to be up to runnin'speed on top of the price..drop $2k from that price or walk!(jmnsho)..Z3Cheers! dk '97 2.8 bg R, +1..and counting...(ADD guibo and suspension, which is shot by 65k,btw..)

NC02Z3

Yes | No

Re: and youy are CORRECTOMUNDO!...

I never like to 'put down' the cars I own, but a 2.3 liter 10 year old Z3 with 65k should be closer to $10,000 or $11,000. Auto or manual doesn't matter.

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

It was. The 13 is out the door....

She is going to the dealer today and offering about $8500 which matches KBB and others.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Out the door, out the window...

13 grand is nearly twice the price.

Don't expect the dealer to dicker much.

If she is serious about buying a 10-year-old Z3, look from one from the original owner, with all service records. A much better deal than any dealer.

When checking book values, note how private party sales are 10-30% cheaper than dealer prices. Why pay extra?

Good luck with it, either way.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I have advised her on all of that...she

is making an offer based on the book and my recommendation. It is a car that she absolutely wants so realistically it is worth whatever she is willing to pay.

Scott

Z3Lee

Yes | No

Re: A friend is buying a 2000 2.3 with....

I'd be glad to sell her one with 74k miles with all that stuff mentioned by DaneKane already corrected/repaired/replaced for $12000. I consider that just "normal" maintanance on these cars.

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Check Edmunds for pricing

That is a lot of money for an 11-year-old car, mileage notwithstanding.

At this age, it may need oxygen sensors (which age with time as well as mileage, I just replaced them in two of my E36's with 75k on the clock) as well as a cooling system overhaul, suspension re-do, and of course mundane things like brakes, etc.

Tell you what, if she wants, she can have my 1999 M Roadster with 27,000 miles on the clock, for $13 grand - and she'd still be paying me over book for it. And it doesn't need new brakes. It has new tires and wheels, though.

For 13 grand you could buy a much newer Z3 or even a Z4. Walk away.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information