+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 183285 esullivan is an unknown quantity at this point esullivan's Avatar

Yes | No

Reimbursements from other person's insurance

Hello,
    I was recently in an accident where the other person was at fault. I have filed through my own insurance and will be paying my full $1000 deductible + 4 days worth of car rental out-of-pocket when i pick my fixed car up tomorrow. I called my insurance to get a general idea of how much of those costs may be reimbursed by the at-fault drivers' insurance, but the insurance agent had no idea.

Can anyone tell me what is normal reimbursement for this type of situation? 100%? 90%? 50%? It would just be really helpful to have at least a very general idea of how much money I will not be getting back from my repairs/car rental.

Thanks!

Mike

Yes | No

Re: Reimbursements from other person's insurance

It really depends on how much the other person is at fault. If they're 100% at fault, you should get 100% of your deductible back. What's basically happening is that your company (with some help from your deductible) is paying the claim upfront, even though it shouldn't have to because you were not at fault. They're going to do everything they can to then sue the at-fault party and recoup their money (including your deductible).

Unfortunately, it also depends on your state and your company as far as how much of your deductible (if any) they will actually pay back. If the fault is really in dispute (i.e. it was 60-40 the other person's fault), the insurer might not have to pay you anything back if state statutes allow.

I would call your company back and ask them again based on some hypothetical at-fault percentages. I doubt they'll give you a straight answer, but it may give you a better idea on how much the other party has to be at fault in order for you to recoup your deductible.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information