+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 175503 TeesZee is an unknown quantity at this point TeesZee's Avatar

Yes | No

installing seat belt button

just purchased a seat belt button for one missing on my passenger seat belt. it came in two pieces with one having a sharp point that pierces the belt and one with a center hole to fit over the point. my question is how to join the two halves together...looks like the point needs to melt somehow to fill the hole and leave a smooth plug in the middle of the hole. any ideas? thanks as alwaysTeesZee
    2000 Z3 2.3 SienaRot II/Tan/Tan roadster solutions windblocker, stone guards, front mud flaps, dane kane seatbelt guides

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

I have done this to mine and...

as I recall, you push the one side through the belt in the SAME spot that the old button came out from. Then, snap the other side onto the first piece and melt the tab with a soldering gun / iron.

At least, that is how I did it.

Scott Pettit
    www.zscca.org

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: I have done this to mine and...

ok makes sense to me...i have a soldering iron that will do the trick.
    thanks..i was trying to think of a good heat source for a small spot and never thought of the soldering iron. next weekend.TeesZee
    2000 Z3 2.3 SienaRot II/Tan/Tan roadster solutions windblocker, stone guards, front mud flaps, dane kane seatbelt guides

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

easier to just "compress it"(like at the factory)

..that's a special composition plastic..you don't need to burn it..you just compress it..I just installed one the other day..snap together, then squash the pointy protuberance..a flat-face pliers, or a pair of channel locks and a small flat piece of metal(to act as a sort of anvil).apply steady, even pressure...or i f you had a hard surface available(improvise!), you could probably just smack it with a small hammer..If you examine an oe button, you'll get the point(and actually be able to see it!)..Z3CHEERS! dk'97 2.8 bg R("Z-KANE")

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: easier to just compress it(like at the factory)

whew!! it was harder to smash than I thought...used a solid metal under neath..then a bolt on the point and many smacks of a small hammer to flatten it so that the button would stay on over the flattened point. Think i have it now where it will stay together. thanks for the info..prob a better choice for me as my touch with a soldering iron leaves a lot to be desired.TeesZee

st-pete-z3

Yes | No

Re: easier to just compress it(like at the factory)

Could you not just put a scrap of plywood on top and bottom and take a large Vise grip wrench and squeeze together-?

Registered Member
    Member No: 40215 DaneKane is an unknown quantity at this point DaneKane's Avatar

Yes | No

needs a hard, flat surface for best results..dk

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information