+ Reply to Thread
    Philly 645

Yes | No

Dynamic Drive Failure - HELP

My 2005 645 convertible with only 12,000 gentle miles is throwing random Dynamic Drive Warnings.

Last week, I had my independent mechanic read the codes stored in the ARS control unit. They read 5D5B (pressure build up front axle), 5D5C (pressure sensor rear axle) and 5EF5 (pressure sensor rear axle).

BMW issued a SIB on the issue SI B 37 200 04 (Below)

SUBJECT
    ARS Fault Codes 5D5B or 5D5C

SITUATION
    Customer complains of Dynamic Drive Failure.

FAULT CODE
    Faults codes 5D5B (pressure build up front axle) or 5D5C (pressure sensor rear axle) may be stored in Active Roll Stabilization (ARS) control unit.

CAUSE
    Low fluid level, damaged hydraulic lines, faulty front sway bar or faulty power steering pump may cause these faults.

CORRECTION
    Check the ARS fluid level and system pressure.

PROCEDURE
    * Ensure power steering fluid is at proper level.
    * If system pressure goes above 150 bar, then replace the front sway bar.
    * If system pressure does not go above 150 bar, then check the hydraulic supply lines for damage.
    * If hydraulic lines are not damaged, then replace the power steering pump.

I had the independent shop clear the codes, but the Dynamic Drive warning appeared again over this weekend.

This morning, I took the 6 to my local dealership for a full diagnosis. The SA is offering to replace the Dynamic Drive block at a cost of $2,100. When I challenged the SA as to whether this would guarantee the fix, especially since replacement of the block was not listed in the SIB, he said he would have the technician re-confirm the diagnosis.

I purchased the 6 in a private sale with only 1,200 miles June 2008 and have driven every mile since. I'm meticulous about maintenance and have every maintenance record, including those from the previous owner. I'm obviously out of the manufacturers warranty coverage. With 12,000 miles, I fail to understand how the vehicle could have such a significant mechanical breakdown that is also a potential safety hazard. I asked the SA as to whether BMW would consider a goodwill warranty repair - no luck thus far.

Anyone have any ideas. Cobradav - you are the most educated and seasoned owner among us... have you experienced the Dynamic Drive failure, any advice on how to request a goodwill warranty repair?

Registered Member
    Member No: 107311 cobradav is an unknown quantity at this point cobradav's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Dynamic Drive Failure - HELP

I have never seen that bulletin before and in fact cannot find even now. The number has too many digits to current system but that means nothing really.

As to the issue at hand. Not heard of that specific issue before in any E6x Dynamic Drive (E60 5 series has same hardware). Obviously BMW has. I'm sure the fluid level has been checked (mine has been down a couple of times). There are occasions where electrical based problems manifest themselves with apparent hardware issues via thrown faults codes that turn out to be bogus. So I would be sure battery and charging system are in good condition.

But assuming they are ok then it appears you are on a road to some potential high $$ repairs. I would want the BMW service deparment to ensure they submit a PuMA (BMW internal system to get home based engineering group involved in trouble shooting and diagnosis) case to BMW AG headquarters with the symtoms they found or find and get their proposed way ahead before the dealer just starts shot gunning repairs.

AS to goodwill. I hve been successful in three of three attempts although not at quite that high a dollar amount. I did written requests to service manager, in a calm and factual manner. I followed up a few days later to press my case, again in a calm and factual manner, if I had not heard anything directly or via SA. I in fact let the SA know what I was doing up front as well. In one case we drug this process out over many many months (repainting front end I thought had been a terrrible job by their provider of choice in the first place) until they just grabbed the car one day ot was in and said they would do it. I believ in one case I also very subtly hinted that future purchases of BMW products sort of hinged on how I was treated, but that you have to use with great caution. I engaged BMWNA in one case but only for guidance without pointing any fingers and sort of asking for their advice. They did communicate with dealership and made no promises but I thought the engagement helped.

Other than that I don't knw what to tell you. You mentioned an indy shop. Would they be willing to tackle this job and if so would you have confidence in them? I am now in position at 110k miles that I have to make those decisions as well when it comes to major work. SO far have not had any but I know it's a commin'

Good luck,

sorry could not be of more help.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 31.00.00

www.bimmerdrivers.com

Unregistered

Yes | No

BMW 645CI Dynamic Drive Malfunction

Quote Originally Posted by cobradav View Post
    I have never seen that bulletin before and in fact cannot find even now. The number has too many digits to current system but that means nothing really.

As to the issue at hand. Not heard of that specific issue before in any E6x Dynamic Drive (E60 5 series has same hardware). Obviously BMW has. I'm sure the fluid level has been checked (mine has been down a couple of times). There are occasions where electrical based problems manifest themselves with apparent hardware issues via thrown faults codes that turn out to be bogus. So I would be sure battery and charging system are in good condition.

But assuming they are ok then it appears you are on a road to some potential high $$ repairs. I would want the BMW service deparment to ensure they submit a PuMA (BMW internal system to get home based engineering group involved in trouble shooting and diagnosis) case to BMW AG headquarters with the symtoms they found or find and get their proposed way ahead before the dealer just starts shot gunning repairs.

AS to goodwill. I hve been successful in three of three attempts although not at quite that high a dollar amount. I did written requests to service manager, in a calm and factual manner. I followed up a few days later to press my case, again in a calm and factual manner, if I had not heard anything directly or via SA. I in fact let the SA know what I was doing up front as well. In one case we drug this process out over many many months (repainting front end I thought had been a terrrible job by their provider of choice in the first place) until they just grabbed the car one day ot was in and said they would do it. I believ in one case I also very subtly hinted that future purchases of BMW products sort of hinged on how I was treated, but that you have to use with great caution. I engaged BMWNA in one case but only for guidance without pointing any fingers and sort of asking for their advice. They did communicate with dealership and made no promises but I thought the engagement helped.

Other than that I don't knw what to tell you. You mentioned an indy shop. Would they be willing to tackle this job and if so would you have confidence in them? I am now in position at 110k miles that I have to make those decisions as well when it comes to major work. SO far have not had any but I know it's a commin'

Good luck,

sorry could not be of more help.

_______
    US '05 645 Coupe|Silver Grey|Chateau|Sport|Logic 7|HUD|Cold Pkg|SAT|AUX|BT w/ snap-in adapter|MP3|V1|CIP 31.00.00

www.bimmerdrivers.com
    I have a BMW 2005 645CI with only 21,000 mile - and Get the same Dynamic Drive Malfunction warning once a month. When I bought the car I had the BMW dealership look at the car and they gave it a clean bill of health.

And, after a day or so I got the DMF warning and I am not sure if this is something that I need to worry about or have it fixed.

It seems like it can be any number of thing - I think BMW should have spent more time explaining the warning in detail than the time they spent of designing the icon and assigning the bling sound to it

I think for a car worth $80,000 one should not have such problems - I think BMW is trying to get extra money from their customers - which I think sucks.

This is my first BMW and I am very disappointed with the kind of response people are getting from the BMW corporate and dealership.

I guess for BMW extra money take precedence over quality workmanship and service.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 74.142.155.34

Registered Member
    Member No: 196540 zacharyrizzuto is an unknown quantity at this point zacharyrizzuto's Avatar

Yes | No
    I hear that the wheels have the RDC sensors in them, and the batteries last around 7 years - which means they'll be going flat soon.

It may be that the batteries in the sensors in the wheels are flat, and that may be causing the error.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 42.201.254.26

iali

Yes | No

Drive InActive

5d65 Position direction valve

5d52 Supply, shift position sensor
    54de pressure control valve, front axle

Got Dynamic Drive InActive sign o
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 66.241.131.23

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information