+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

R Endicott

Yes | No

stuck shift knob bushing

I was about to install a Whalen shift knob when I found, after I chiseled the wooden part off the old knob, the previous owner had either super-glued or epoxied the metal bushing inside the knob to the shifter. Won't budge, using normal methods. Any suggestions as to how I can undo this fool's handiwork?

Registered Member
    Member No: 181466 ZooMer is an unknown quantity at this point ZooMer's Avatar

Yes | No

Tough one....

I'd probably use my dremel to slice through one side of the bushing and see if I could pry it apart with a screwdriver. Take it slow and easy!!! Even better if you could remove the shifter and do the work outside the car!!2001 ///M Roadster #16
    Laguna Seca Blue - no mods

Bob 2.8

Yes | No

Heat

Heat usually softens epoxy. If you can get the boot off and carefully aim a heat gun. The dremel cutting disc is a good idea too. I use my dremel as a cutting tool more than anything.

R Endicott

Yes | No

Re: Heat

How about a propane torch? Too hot?

Registered Member
    Member No: 167837 Bob2.8 is an unknown quantity at this point Bob2.8's Avatar

Yes | No

a propane torch is a good way to soften epoxy, melt plastic, burn leather etc. If you can apply the flame carefully it'll work.:)

R Endicott

Yes | No

The torch did the trick. Softened the epoxy and slipped off the bushing in less than 5 seconds. A few minutes cleaning up the residue and all's well. I was a bit nervous about the torch but I erected flame barriers around the work area and clamped two vice grips below the bushing to act as heat sinks.

Registered Member
    Member No: 59024 WB-MZ is an unknown quantity at this point WB-MZ's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: stuck shift knob bushing

You might try hitting it with a hammer, Put something heavy behind it as an anvil before you smack it so you don't damage the shifter. Super glue and some epoxies don't tolerate shock very well. Give it a couple good whacks and see if it breaks the glue bond. If that doesn't work try the heating like the others said.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information