+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 148047 ApocalypseNotNow is an unknown quantity at this point ApocalypseNotNow's Avatar

Yes | No

has anyone done this?

i want to keep my power antenna switched down at the dash when i play tapes or listen to my cds through a Sony tape/cd adapter, which btw works great with my portable Panasonic cd player. the sound is truly amazing for a $20 adapter... this is on a stock '88is head unit. i know that there is a white wire from the head unit powering the antenna, but it also powers the amp and if you disconnect it the antenna goes down, as desired, but the radio and tape stops playing as well. i don't want to run a long wire from the trunk (where the antenna is) to a switch at the dash. anyway to get around it? thank you

Registered Member
    Member No: 148047 ApocalypseNotNow is an unknown quantity at this point ApocalypseNotNow's Avatar

Yes | No

to add...

i could run the switch wires from the fuse box but i want to avoid that too. is there anyway to do this with wires at the radio? they're the closest to the dash and i'm using an old A/C-Recycling switch in place of the blank left of the defroster switch to keep it looking somewhat OEM :)

i just did a search and came up on someone doing this without an amp where the white wire powers the antenna only. that would be easy but mine has an amp powered by the same white wire...

Registered Member
    Member No: 24008 montypsk is an unknown quantity at this point montypsk's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: to add...

This might not me the answer you are looking for, but 5 years ago, I got the latest Sony aftermarket radio and only when I selected the tuner, did the antenna go up. If went with CD or Aux, it will retract it. Kinda cool.

Registered Member

Yes | No

thanks

i don't want to change the head, i like the look and the sound is fine by me as i mostly listen to classic rock and such :)

i've realized now that i need to find the place where the white wire which powers both the antenna and the amp splits to power each. it is there that i need to splice my switch. it seems to be the only way to get a grip on controlling the antenna alone without affecting the amp... sounds like an small after work project and i'll let the forum know how it goes.

Registered Member

Yes | No

done

yeah, traced the white wire further and it does split into two. put a switch in the antenna power wire and all is well with the world once again :))

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information