+ Reply to Thread
    steve

Yes | No

325is does not start, starter motor?

6/'87 325is 180k+ miles

I read some of the archives, but didn't come across really my situation...

After sitting for almost 3 months, my car will not start. When I turned the key initially it sounded like it was trying to start/ turnover, successive attempts a few minutes apart progressively sounded less likely it would start until it got to the point I just heard 'cliking sounds' when I turned the key. My dash lights worked the whole time and I was able to turn on the headlights and highbeams just fine. I forgot to check the fuses.

I have had similar issues starting the car in the past, especially when it sat for awhile, not this long though, and could get it started after a few good tries.

I think it is the starter motor or related piece, would this sound correct? I don't have my Bently maunual with me, it is in the car which is in storage a ways away from me now. How difficult and time consuming to change out the starter? Any good links for instructions test for this and/or change out this or related parts?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Steve

Registered Member
    Member No: 117731 jlevie is an unknown quantity at this point jlevie's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: 325is does not start, starter motor?

Sounds to me like a dead battery. Try starting the car with a fully charged battery, this battery charged overnight or one "borrowed" from another vehicle.Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL
    BMWCCA 335857
    http://www.bmwcca.org

Registered Member
    Member No: 148047 ApocalypseNotNow is an unknown quantity at this point ApocalypseNotNow's Avatar

Yes | No

i'll second that...

just get a jump start from a friend, or an enemy you can trust :))

even though you may be able to run the lights/radio/etc, the battery just doesn't have enough amps to power the starter motor, hence the clicking sound...

Registered Member
    Member No: 29953 BMWguy22 is an unknown quantity at this point BMWguy22's Avatar

Yes | No

hold the phone a sec....

I had a similar issue with an XJ8 I was trying to boost with my e30.

When I connected my multimeter, to the battery, i got a reading of .88V. When i connected my e30 to the Jag, i got a reading of 13.68V, then the owner tried startgin it with no luck, just clicking (all the lights came on after I connected the booster cables.)

I recall this issue when trying to start my e30 earlier this year after it was sitting for a year, and with a battery that was well over 7 yrs old. I was able to get it started after i disconnected the battery, and the car was able to run on its own clearly with charge from the alt.

So I tried doing this on the dead Jag, with no luck, just more clicking, so I told my neighbour to get a new starter as hers was just clicking (I also tried knocking her starter with a wrench with no luck).

88 Delphine grey 325is
    ALUMINUM BUMPER APPRECIATION ASSOCIATION (ABAA)
    Membership ID (00013)

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information