+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 91059 ag90fox is an unknown quantity at this point ag90fox's Avatar

Yes | No

Advice on SMG purchase

First off, thanks in advance for any advice you can offer on my question! I did a search on my question and didn't find anything that wasn't over 2 years old (not the greatest "searcher").

I'm in the market for an 05-07 Z4 and have a few clean candidates in mind nearby me here in San Antonio. One is the 5 speed steptronic, and two are the 6 speed SMG(?) that has paddle shifters.

My first pick will be the steptronic, but if the deal isn't reasonable enough I'm wondering about going with the SMG.

I figure it might be cool to have the SMG (synonymous with paddle shifters?) but don't know anything about it. I figure I can learn as I go (leave it in auto most of the time), but my big concern would be if the SMG has a bad reliability record.

Would I be buying into a major maintenance/reliability problem down the road with it, on on 06 or 07 model?

Thanks again,

Joe
    San Antonio
    2006 325ia, Stock
    Keller Williams Realty
    www.JoeFoxRealEstate.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 91059 ag90fox is an unknown quantity at this point ag90fox's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Advice on SMG purchase

Well, I think I learned a little something...maybe...

The ad for the car I'm looking at says its a 6 speed steptronic with paddle shifters. Does than make sense? I thought paddle shifters MEANT it was an SMG...but apparently not. That will be cool with me as I was hoping for a steptronic.

If ya wouldn't mind confirming my assumption above, that a z4 can have a steptronic with paddle shifters, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

Joe2006 325ia, Stock
    Keller Williams Realty
    www.JoeFoxRealEstate.com

Registered Member
    Member No: 71351 blaZen is an unknown quantity at this point blaZen's Avatar

Yes | No

We had SMG on our 04' 3.0......BMW no longer offers it.....Might tell you something. Some love it; some hate it. Sold our SMG Z4 and bought a 06' M roadster. If you buy the SMG car, replace the run flats for real tires.

Joe

Yes | No

Still love it here! Just don't think most figured out how to drive it or work the gas and shifter in the right way. I think the run flats statement above has to do with all of the cars.

Registered Member
    Member No: 93417 albailey is an unknown quantity at this point albailey's Avatar

Yes | No

bought mine new at the end of '03. 55k and no trouble at all.
    at the time the only alternative with a sequential manual transmission was the tt with the superior double clutch setup, albeit in a too-heavy chassis.
    initially i wanted it because i expected to be in stop and go traffic quite a bit, and didn't look forward to riding a clutch pedal two hours a day. thought i'd pop it into auto mode and chill. turns out i took a commuter bus to work, and never use the auto mode.
    my next car will probably have a similar setup if it's available. there's no real art or science to operating a manual clutch vehicle, just simple coordination.
    to those that believe that third pedal is a must-have, i say "what's with the electric starter, nancy? man the [Oops!] up and hand crank!" ;)

Terry

Yes | No

Love SMG

Bought my '04 3.0 new w/ Sport and even tried to get a 3 series w/ SMG as a primary car. BMW did away w/ SMG on Z4 and 3 series. The secret to a SMG is the software. When the software has been properly programmed, there is no need to learning to adjust the rpm or how to shift - the computer does it all. It programs the rpm to mesh the gears and everything is smooth. Greatest transmission to drive I've ever seen. Run it up to 3,000 rpm or more and just touch the upshift and the SMG shifts positively and quickly. There is no manual meshing of the accelerator - anyone can shift the first time out. The key is to have the tech get the programming right. I've got less than 20,000 miles on mine and it's showroom condition. It is great to drive!

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

A few months back, my wife was....

considering an SMG tranny equiped M6 and several folks who are very familiar offered this advice:

If you are going to use it primarily as an automatic, but you want the responsiveness of a manual, you will be disappointed with the slow response of the auto shifting. However, when the car is driven in the manual mode, the SMG tranny is very responsive.

She ended up with a new 328i and the auto tranny is a bit slow when the accelerator is mashed. In manual mode, it is a rocket on rails.

So, drive both cars in the manner that you plan to operate them and choose the one that puts a smile on your face that only a plastic surgeon can remove.

Scott Pettit

Registered Member
    Member No: 95616 scottpettit is an unknown quantity at this point scottpettit's Avatar

Yes | No

Hand crank??? Ugh... I have one on my

Model T and when my shoulder is killing me, I hate the thing.

Scott Pettit

Terry

Yes | No

Re: A few months back, my wife was....

I strongly recommend SPORT and engage the Sport button each time you drive it - in manual or automatic. The shift and acceleration is great.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hum..not sure she has a sport button

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information