+ Reply to Thread
    AA

Yes | No

328/335 for track use?

Hi all. After previously owning a 2005 M3 and not owning a car for a few years, I am now back in the market. Due to a wedding, I cannot afford an M3 or 911 and am considering getting a CPO 2008 328/335. I would like to attend 2-3 driving events a year. After searching the forum, I noticed a lot of mixed comments about the 328/335 as being 'bad' track cars; i.e., overheating, weight issues, computer controlled brake problems. Am I wasting my time even considering this car for track use? I owned 2 E46 M3s and they were rock solid for mixed track/street use.

Thanks!

floydr

Yes | No

They work fine

Yeah, they're a little heavier, but if you get a 335i make sure it has the oil cooler. Haven't heard of any brake issues - although without a LSD you need to turn off the DTC so as to not toast the brakes when the car uses them to prevent wheel-slip on acceleration.

AA

Yes | No

Re: They work fine

Thanks! I'm not looking for the perfect track car at this stage, just something I can have some fun with and keep the skills sharp until I can afford a better track car down the road (probably a 911, M3, or Cayman).

With respect to the oil cooler, is that an extra option or is that an aftermarket install?

Thanks again for the response.

floydr

Yes | No

Oil coolers are standard on sport-package equipped vehicles with manual transmissions. Seems like BMW changed things after 2007 and started equipping more with coolers - I haven't tracked this issue too closely.

GTVR6

Yes | No

Is there anyway to tell if there's an oil cooler?

I'm in the market for a 335i, Manual & Sport Package so I just wanted to confirm if it has an oil cooler.

- Sorry, didn't mean to jump on your tread but I'm in a similar boat.

Thanks,

jt

floydr

Yes | No

Look at the right front wheel well for it

AA

Yes | No

Thanks for the heads up. I guess this means I need to look for an '08+.

The crazy thing is that nationwide, there are almost 0 335i certified pre-owned cars with manual transmissions. I'm waiting at a few dealers to see what comes in that they are will to certify. Pretty disappointing.

xman

Yes | No

All Manual 335s with Sport Package have Oil Cooler

Not matter the year. So you don't need an 08. If you want one with an auto however, depending on the year, certain cars started getting them.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information