+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 183537 PoorKitty is an unknown quantity at this point PoorKitty's Avatar

Yes | No

Charged Unfairly.

I backed into my landlords property on the driveway. My rear windshield was smashed. The property was OK. I called up my insurance company (Metlife) to ask if they would cover it. They did not.

They did however report it as an "incident" in their internal system (it is not on my driving record).

Now when I switched insurance to Geico, Geico hiked my insurance $500 after they saw this incident (I was nice enough to give them my policy number).

I think it is unfair that I should be charged $500 for an incident that virtually did not happen. The landlord had no problems, I replaced my windshield and METLife did not pay me a penny.

Any suggestions as to what I can do about this?

Thanks,
    -PoorKitty.

Mike

Yes | No

Re: Charged Unfairly.

There's really nothing you can do. I'm guessing it's showing up in the Claims Database (the one the insurer's share) as a Property Damage claim, which shows them that you were at fault. Normally, companies don't count glass breakage against you (especially when they don't even cover it), but as far they're concerned, all they can see is that you caused property damage on that date.

My best advice is to take a Defensive Driver Course in your area (if available) so you can get an immediate discount and help lower the rate. You could also shop around some more, but most companies will be able to see it, whether you give them your old policy number or not.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information