+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Morristown, TN, United States
    Member No: 94966 Grahambo740iL is an unknown quantity at this point Grahambo740iL's Avatar
    Yes | No

New to E53 - clunking right front wheel noise

Ok guys - 10 BMW since '78 and this one wife traded '00 528 in on it - needed AWD. 2003 X5 3.0 with 73K miles or so. My first experience with driving front wheels. So i am new to the E53 forum but have been active in e32 - my 93 740iL with 197000 miles and the previous models of my wife.

Starting to exhibit a clunking noise from right front wheel area when moving and turning sharply. I just replaced a split CV boot on driver side outer and wondering if previous owner let the right side go too far. The sound reminds me of front axle failure in fwd cars.

Suggestions? I suspect a failing CV joint but thought I would check. The ball joints, control arms are all tight and this is only when turning anyway.

Robert Platt Bell
    , ,

Yes | No

Your instincts are probably correct

Many of these cars had CV boots or joints replaced under warranty. Mine were replaced at 30,000 miles and I spray them with silicone spray to keep them from cracking and drying out.

If you see dried on grease on the inside of the wheel rims, chances are the boots failed in the past, and if they did, it is likely the joints may have been damaged.

The symptom you describe sounds like a classic CV joint problem.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information