+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 125804 JTM745i is an unknown quantity at this point JTM745i's Avatar

Yes | No

Temp sensor wiring help please

Hi you all, I have a 2001 M3, I replaiced the front under fender cover and had to replace the outside temp sensor, there there 2 wires hanging there a set of Blue ones which I used to connect the new plug and the exterior sensor to, does it matter which order it is hooked up?

I also noticed a set of green wires ripped of, what are they for?

Here is another problem now, my digital read out lights up bright and dimmens while I'm driving all the time, did I do something wrong?

Any help be GREATLY apreciated please

Best regards

Jens

Gilly65

Yes | No

Re: Temp sensor wiring help please

Hi, found this site recently http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/e46/index.htm, hope it helps. Regards, Carl

Registered Member
    Member No: 24397 Dyavalon is on a distinguished road Dyavalon's Avatar

Yes | No

I can offer some limited help.

Temperature sensors are resistance based, if there are only 2 wires, then it doesn't matter which one is which. I have not disconnected my sensor, so I'm honestly not certain how many wires there are. My experience does tell me that if there was a polarity necessary, for some reason I can't fathom, that the connector would be one-way only.

The brake pad wear sensor uses a green wire. Not sure what else up in front uses green wires. Especially what could be disconnected and not throwing some code.

I believe that the instrument lighting intensity is a function of the light sensor on the rearview mirror (the sensor on the front of it, facing out of the windshield), but I could be wrong. I notice mine switch back and forth from bright and dim a couple of times, during the early morning and around dusk when the computer can't make up it's mind if it is dark enough to switch or not. Maybe you have some gunk stuck in the sensor? Have you replaced the rearview mirror? Maybe the wire on the mirror is not connected well causing a poor connection?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information