+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 172196 speedracer993 is an unknown quantity at this point speedracer993's Avatar

Yes | No

Afraid to purchase 530i without your help.

Hi Guys,

I'm a long time BMW fan but afraid of the 5 series from reading about the problems, consumer reports reviews, I Drive issues etc. I need a mid size sedan for my growing family. Drove the Infinity M 35, Acura RL, Lexus ect trying to get away from the BMW reliability problems, but the other cars just don't cut it.

I've found a 2007 530I with 35,000 miles on it.

What problems should I make sure have been addressed with this car so that I'm not constantly in the shop? I live 45 min from the nearest dealer with 3 kids and a hectic schedule. I can't afford to purchase a car with problems.

You help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Registered Member
    Member No: 172196 speedracer993 is an unknown quantity at this point speedracer993's Avatar

Yes | No

Also interested in 545 but same concerns.

I'm afraid that the 530 won't have the power and fun I'm looking for but have the same concerns with the 545i.

Thanks again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 17816 youdono is an unknown quantity at this point youdono's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Also interested in 545 but same concerns.

I just bought a 04 545i and am running into problems already. Just beware this is one complicated piece of machinery with tons of things that can go wrong. Lots of finicky electronic that have to be "initialized" or reset at the dealer. They will have a lock on your wallet more and more as time goes by. I've run into oil leaks from the timing cover and valve covers, $1,1150.00 at a indy shop to fix. The tire pressure warning lights keep going off. NowI found out the fuel door lock actuator went south.
    But overall it a nice ride. I'm glad I kept my e36 M3 in the garage for a spare. Make sure you take it to BMW shop to it inspected before purchase! And search the 5 Series Forum for additional information before purchase. There's a bunch of great guys here:

Registered Member
    Member No: 6991 abqhudson is an unknown quantity at this point abqhudson's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Afraid to purchase 530i without your help.

My guidelines: If it's a one owner car with a good service history (available at the BMW Dealer); no accidents; it passes a pre-purchase inspection at the dealer; it's priced right; and the seller is credible; I wouldn't worry. I own a 2007 530i and have had no problems - previous 2004 530i had no problems. YMMV.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information