+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 71325 ohdaveplease is an unknown quantity at this point ohdaveplease's Avatar

Yes | No

Sunshade repair

The sunshade in my e46 sedan will not close anymore. Iwent to slide it this evening and found a little plastic half moon in the track and the thing will only go forward about half way. It seems to be the drivers side but I can't figure out how it works.
    As always thanks in advance

04 E46 325i Sport,Manual,Silver Grey/Black leather.my car
    90 Mazda Miata 90k original Red with Black........toy car
    01 Subaru Outback LL bean edition h6...........wife's car
    past BMW's: .
    88 735i e32 Black/Tan...93 325i e36 manual Electric Red/Black *my first NEW BMW!...00 528i e39 sport,manual Electric Red/Black

jayb

Yes | No

Re: Sunshade repair

I been there with my E46. There are plastic clips that are located at the corners of the shade that usually are the problems. However, on the drivers side is potentially another problems that you may encounter. This is the same problem that I have. On the drivers side there is a Driver that controls and pushes the shade open and close. You will need to check if the Driver is contacting the shade arm properly and not stepping over it as is in my case. If I remember correctly, there is a half moon plastic that acts as a bumper on the contact point of the Driver to the shade. The first thing that will have to be done is to remove the glass and set it far aside (in safe location). Now you can get to the clips on the corners of the shades. Replace them, easy to do, and not costly. Also see where the half moon plastic came off of. If the shade operates okay now--you are done. You do not have to replace glass to do test run of shade. Don't forget to lubricate the track while you are in there. BUT if the shade does not work because of the Driver riding over the contact arm on the shade (left rear of shade) that becomes a big problem. I suspect that the Driver trolley that rides in the track will need to be replaced. The problem is that the Driver is fed into the track at the extreme rear of the driver side of the car over the rear seat, and you cannot get to it without dropping the ceiling liner (something I would not attempt--for costmetic reasons). There are good procedures posted on this site for replacing the clips and removing the glass. Let us know how you did.

Registered Member
    Member No: 71325 ohdaveplease is an unknown quantity at this point ohdaveplease's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks for your help

As it looks now one of the small plastic sliders (for lack of abetter term) seems to have fallen out. I am going to pop out the glass and try to put it back. I'll let you know how it goes
    Thanks again,
    Dave
    88 735i e32 Black/Tan...93 325i e36 manual Electric Red/Black *my first NEW BMW!...00 528i e39 sport,manual Electric Red/Black

Registered Member

Yes | No

another sunshade question

OK i got the glass off and located a small black plastic piece, on the left side of the slider,which I felt belonged under the slider that rides above the track.(Put it there worked once and came loose again) Is that black plastic piece supposed to be L shaped to wedge the slider into the track?
    It seems I my have located a broken off piece. I ordered new ones hoping that is indeed the case. Pretty easy fix if I get what I am expecting the item to look like. BTW Bavarian was cheaper on the part than Pelican Still twenty something dollars is ridiculous for 2 tiny plastic doo-hickies

jayb

Yes | No

Re: another sunshade question

If you are in there, I would change the right and left clips. There are 2 on right side, and I do not remember if there are one or two on left side. The rear left (divers side) has the Driver on it. The clips have a C half moon on them (if I remember right)that will break off. I paid about $32 for all 3 (?) from dealer--a real got you. Actual cost is probably less than $1. But if the right clips are not in perfectshape, they will cause problems. You must lubricate everything carefully. And finally, need to check the Driver carefully to see if it is functioning properly.

merckx

Yes | No

Re: another sunshade question

yep...did mine a couple weeks ago....had to bend the driver back into position to grab shade when opening/closing....e46fanatics has some good picsinstructions also....pretty easy fix. My clips were $20 EACH. But, saved a ton overall DIY. Good Luck! -merckx

Registered Member

Yes | No

all seems well in there with the exception

of the broken clip on the drivers side. I bought 2 to replace both. BTW lubricate with what?

jayb

Yes | No

do not use WD40, 3-in-1, etc.

need a thin oil made for that. Ask BMW.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Fixed! Just pressed my "that was easy button"

I replaced the drivers side sliders. One was broken the other worn greased the tracks and didn't lose my mind once. Everything went exactly as described here on these boards. Thanks all for the help!

DeadEd

Yes | No

Advice on driver positioning needed

Gentlemen,

I semi-repaired my sunshade last weekend. It was just one disconnected right clip, and a broken front left clip. Repair was generally easy, as described above, but I have a remaining issue. I cannot pull my sunshade all the way closed. I can get it within about 2-3 inches of fully closed. I suspect it is because the shade driver was positioned between the front and rear sunshade clips. Is this the correct positioning? Where (and how) should it be positioned?

This is no big deal, and I can live with it as is (I generally leave the shade fully open), but if it is an easy fix, I'll try it again someday. BTW,did anyone ever figure out the proper track lubricant? Vaseline?

Registered Member

Yes | No

from what I recall the driver was located

aft of the second clip on the right side of the the car. My slider was always tighter closing towards the windshields edge (last 3,4 inches) I thought it was normal

Registered Member
    Member No: 94415 jayb is on a distinguished road jayb's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Advice on driver positioning needed

The Driver is on the drivers side (328i/2000). With the glass out, I use to watch how it would jump over the clips instead of making contact and pushing them open/close. I am not 100% sure, but it seems like it has to be between the front and back in order to make contact with each depending on whether you are opening or closing. The Driver has been redesigned (for the 328i/2000) so that the edge does not wear that allows it to ride over the clips. I want to change the Driver, but to get to it one needs to drop the ceiling liner at the rear of the rear seat to feed the Driver onto the rail--something that I do not think is a DIY.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information