+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 123011 hpy540 is an unknown quantity at this point hpy540's Avatar

Yes | No

Paging jim cash

codeing advice

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK i bought my dream car and now i am almost done wth it. The financial mess has put me in a position the only car i could afford was a smushed M5 with 62k on it. I have a few questions on coding. I am not sure if the heater fan is in the dash but the heater controll was stolen out of it and i had to get a new one. I know it has to be coded. Will the fan work if the heater controll is not coded to the BCM? I also took the factory HID's out of my 540 of the same year and put those in. they worked when i took them out fo the 540 and now in the M5 they do not? Is there a reset ? Do they have to be Codeed to the LCM ? I checked the fuse adn it was good.

Also the radio worked before i replaced the stering wheel. now it dose not and the dsp function is gone off of the NAV. The wheel is out of a M3 it has the paddel shif on it but i do not have it hooked up. Does the wheel functions have to be coded to the radio or the car? If sme one has a cell i could call them n this might goeasier on the phone. send me a email [email protected] 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

any suggestions

I have read the wheel replacement thread on DIY BMW and stll not a clue here01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Jim Cash

Yes | No

Re: Paging jim cash

The cabin blower is inside the dash - in the heater/evaporator/flap module - have to take the top off the dash to start to get to it.

It is controlled by the Climate control panel - via the final stage resistor pack (often a problem)

The climate control panel must be coded with the correct HW/SW - not sure if the blower will work without that or not (depends on other issues which can only be determined with the car connected to the diagnostic system.

Regarding the HID's. They should work "assuming" that the M5 also had HID's. If not then yes it requires coding. Not sure what fuse you checked but there are no fuses for external lights - they are all individually (each bulb) controlled by the LCM power transistors.

The wheel controls are "probably" also a software coding issue. The wheel buttons only trigger a module that then sends messages to the other audio units via the digital bus - communications will only occur if the coding is set correctly.

It is "usually" not possible to simply switch parts between cars - or even to use parts from another E39 that are not of the same time period (HW/SW compatibility).

These cars are almost completely computer controlled for most functions. They are much more complex than your home PC and and they are NOT plug and play.

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanx Jim and i amaware of the FSU. I have had one of these cars since 99. Iappeciate your ehlpani did not think theywould be plug ad play. Both cars are mufactured 10/2000. Please keep me inmind or checkabck as i will have a few more questions. thax agan for yourhelp 01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Thanx again and i have replaced the FSU on the last one o these. this is nw my third car like this and i at the moment have 2 of them. The 540 6 m sport will be going up for sale. it has Nav and everythignbut PDCand sunshade. 01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Navecoder

OK got e Hd thing figured out. Also the Cruise controll works from the wheel. Why wont the radio controlls work. I am still looking for someo one that can help in the upper midwest. I just ordered a Ibus communicator and i am going to DL Navcoder when i get a chance or when i gets here. Any houghts01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member
    Member No: 17983 horse325es is on a distinguished road horse325es's Avatar

Yes | No

Do u have any pics of your car with the ssr's? ALSO what are the specs on ur wheels? My friend is rebuilding an e39 and bought those wheels 18" and staggered. He doesnt want to buy rubber till he knows for sure hes got the right size/offset. Do u have direct fitment wheels or used spacers?

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796
    86 325es (wrecked by careless driver)
    87 325 (project for life)
    00 540is 6spd (daily driver)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Direct fitent and theylook great 01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Pics and specs on the wheels would be greatly appreciated. Offsets or even part #.

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796

Registered Member

Yes | No

ASLO

I have a brand new m5 bumper bra im looking to sell or trade for a regular e39 bumper bra.

Andreas
    Queens NY
    BMWCCA# 186796

Registered Member

Yes | No

Code reader In Wisconsin Peake GT1/DIS, NCSexpert,

Does anyone have a peak tool or one of ethr ons that will work on this car in WI? I amin the center of the state. I will travelif i do not have to a the stealer. GT1/DIS, NCSexpert, or AutoLogic. Or anyone know of a member that has one of these? 01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

HID question

Is it possibltoget a replacement pgtail off of the balst? Or do i have to get the whole balast? The end that attaches to he bulb is Boogered up? 01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re:codeing

I g tthe HID figured out. Looking for someone in WI MN or IL tha had a flash scan tool todo some codeing01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member
    Member No: 34785 bmw93 is an unknown quantity at this point bmw93's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: HID question

I have a bad ballast that you can have. Pigtail and all. Let me know.

2000 540i/6 7/99 Production Date

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: HID question

Where are you located? Email me [email protected] 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Nav coder jim cash

Can i use this to code my steering wheel airbag reset etc? http://www.reslers.de/IBUS/index.html

http://www.xoutpost.com/electronics/navigation-system/51085-navcoder-v2-8-15-released-24-december-2009-a.html01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

got the codes Paging jim cash

Codes & VIN wbsde93481bz97995
    Ok Guys any help would be greatly appreciated. If possible can someone also point out locations for the air flap/sensors. Possibly diagrams or other issues with this stuff that they have had. We had cleared these and they came back. All this was done with a x431 launch diag tool and some stuff could not be dealt with. Any and all suggestions welcome. Right now radio does not work nor the heater
    IHKA automatic heater PN 6916641
    Hardware number 60
    Software number 63
    Diagnosis index 03
    Bus 10
    fficeffice" />
    Total codes 005
    Code 001 0B heat exchanger right
    CODE 002 0E REAR COMPARTEMTN POTENTIOMETER
    CODE 003 12 EVAPORATOR SENSOR
    CODE 004 13 HEAT EXCHANGER SENSOR LEFT
    CODE 005 05 FRESH-AIR/RECIRCULATED-AIR FLAP MOTOR

2ND MENUE MFL MULTIFUNCTION STEERIGN WHEEL
    BMW PART NUMBER 000000
    BMW HARWARE NUMBER 01
    SOFTWARE NUMBER 09
    DIAGNOSIS INDEX 03
    BUS INDEX 78
    CODEINDEX 00
    DATE OF MANUFACTURE , CW 00
    DATE OF MANUFACTURE YEAR , 00

3RD MENUE
    ECU IDENTITY
    AIRBAG [MRS31 ] SYSTEM
    PARTNUMBER 6900
    HARDWARE NUMBER 40
    SOFTWARE NUMBER 30
    DIAGNOSIS INDEX 08
    CODEING INDEX 10
    BUS INDEX 00
    DATA 42/00
    CODE 001 9 IGNITION CIRCUIT ZK8,FRONT LEFT AIRBAG ITS
    CODE 002 11 IGNITION CIRCUIT ZK10 BATTERY UNPLUG 1

MENUE 3 NAV
    CODE 001 11 IBUS FAULT
    CODE 002 03 PL LINE: SHORT CIRCUIT TO EARTH (AS FAR AS I KNOW I DONOT HAVE ANY BARE WIRES)
    CODE 003 01 CONTROL UNIT RESET

01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member
    Member No: 175547 JimCash is an unknown quantity at this point JimCash's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: got the codes Paging jim cash

I can only give info for your questions based on what makes sense to me from those codes, etc

Climate control system
    - the codes are saying that it is detecting faults with all three temperature sensors (left and right heater and also evaporator). The only common point here is the climate panel and connector.
    - it also identifies a fault with the flap motor for the main intake and recirc.

To answer your question there are no "flap sensors". All the vent motors are on a common bus network and each one has its own "address" on the bus. They respond to digital messages regarding what position they should be at. They are stepper motors and keep their own memory on how many revolutions they have made. To compensate for flaps moving slightly due to air pressures the system keeps flaps in the fully closed or open poistions (when they are supposed to be in those postions) by applying a few pulses to the appropriate motor ever 20 seconds.

You either have a faulty climate control unit - or individual problems on those components that are generating the codes.

--------------

Steering wheel - you do not show a code but if the wheel controls are not working then I would first suspect a fault with the I bus - mainly because the last item for Nav is also reporting an I bus fault.
    FOr the Nav code for PL line - I am not sure what that is but you do not have to have bare wires to have a ground. A pinched wire, or a short inside a connector or component can cause the same thing.

------
    Airbag
    - you have a fault in the driver's side head back circuit. Could be as simple as disconnected or damaged wire.
    I do not know what that "battery unplug" code is but if at any time you turned on the ignition switch while one of the air bag circuits or components was disconnected then you get a code and the warning lamp.

Sounds like you have lots of investigation ahead of you.
    Has someone worked on the innards of the dash and these systems?

Cheers
    Jim Cash

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: got the codes Paging jim cash

I put a new wheel on it as the car had a x 5 wheel on it. the cruise works. the launch x431 diag tool detected the steerng wheel controls search up, and down and volume up and down. Now the radio workd before i changed the wheel. I guess i should pull it again snd see if there is a pinched wire or bad switch. The head curtain airbag i knew was going to throw a code. it needs to be replaced. Do i have to pull the dash do this? I was hoping to fish it through and do it without pulling the dash.

If the HVAC control was not coded to the car could it caause these symptms? does the gt interface have to have a adress assigned to it? I would like to see if it is jammed? I was able to stick my hand in from the engine compartmt and the blower motor is stil in there. I can spin it.

I have no idea on if somene has worked on it. It is whoredup but yet clean. The car was CPO at 58k when it was sold. it now has 62k on it. the insurance yard is the culprt that did all the damage. it was a really light hit in the left front.

also the rear pdc harnes has been clipped and i have notput a new one in yet. I purchaed a conmplete rear PDC setup from the UK and it is off of a older car. The module is in my car yet but the harness is clipped. I was going to solder and shink tube the older, new harness to the existing 2001 module as the main plug is different. I should unplug it from the existing module in the trunk untill i can get to that.

I also do not have a plug in for a CD changer. 01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

Registered Member

Yes | No

Wat would a dealer charge

to straighten this out? I would imagine lots of KY would be needed on my part. 01 540i6 Nav SSR GT3 Shadow, rear wing((NE1 want this) CDV delete, M5 front bumper (cuz the last one was damaged)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information