+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 25810 Rickllyell53 is an unknown quantity at this point Rickllyell53's Avatar

Yes | No

Missing under acceleration

I have an 98 328i with 215k.
    Yesterday coming out of a corner under acceleration, the car shuddered like it was breaking traction. Subsequent driving showed under acceleration the car starts missing or cutting out. The fault code reader shows double bars-no faults.

So this car has been great, still loses no oil every 6k miles, and is in great shape (sorta see below).

The question I'm struggling with is a deer ran into the front rt fender-hood-both passenger doors and I have $2800 for repairs.

The first question is does anyone have any ideas why it's running this way and the second is should I spend the money on a new-used car?

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Missing under acceleration

Engine misfire can have a variety of causes such as a bad tank of fuel, low fuel pressure (weak pump or clogged filter), bad O2 sensor(s) that are not throwing codes just yet, one or more bad ignition coils, worn spark plugs.
    The keep & fix v.s. get rid of it decision is really up to you. You probably realize that $2800 of body damage makes it, in effect, a driveable total loss. So, from a strictly financial analysis, it's done. Besides the body work and whatever cures the misfire, does it also need now or soon some regular maintenance expected of a 215k mile BMW? Do you love it so much that you are willing to fix it up and keep going? I could understand that because, to me, nothing BMW has made since the E36 drives as nicely. You could hunt for another E36 with half the mileage and no body damage, but the "devil you don't know" may have a lot of never-done maintenance that will cost you the price of the "new" used car over again. Your call.
    '03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '02 325it Orient Blu./Grey, SP, Nav
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Registered Member
    Member No: 25810 Rickllyell53 is an unknown quantity at this point Rickllyell53's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Missing under acceleration

JKRT - appreciate the thoughts.
    I put a new fuel pump in this Summer, have replaced spark plugs, and filled up yeserday - still misses. So I have a fuel filter I'll put in this weekend and see what happens.
    If that's not it thought I'd get a Bosh coil from Pelican and just try to replace one coil at a time.
    Thanks again,
    Rick

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information