+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 94189 cawolfe is an unknown quantity at this point cawolfe's Avatar

Yes | No

headlight droop

Headlight appears bright, but drops focus beam to just ahead of the car when driving. is there a level sensor used for the headlights? Any suggestions?
    Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 30282 dsalinas is on a distinguished road dsalinas's Avatar

Yes | No

Your headlight adjusters are probably broken

Happened to me after hitting a large pothole last year. Depending on your model year you may be able to buy new adjusters for less than $20 per side and do the repair yourself. I think the 2001 and newer models are quite more involved in fixing this issue.

Here is an excellent DIY post from William showing how the repair is done. I followed his instructions and everything came out perfectly.
    DIY headlight adjusters

jet black 2000 528iA
    sport premium package
    MB Quart speakers
    two Alpine amps
    MTX subwoofer
    AudioControl equalizer
    Dice interface for iPod
    BMW CCA member

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Your headlight adjusters are probably broken

I agree -excellent post by William.
    Thanks for the help.

Looks like I will be replacing my broken adjusters!

BG

Yes | No

More involved for 2001 and later headlights

I just went through this exercise for the left headlight in my 2002 530i. I bought the adjuster parts from OdometerGears.com, who delivered immediately. The project took me much of the day, but I am slow on this type of work and I took advantage of the light being out to do some cleaning in the engine compartment. I also cleaned the inside of the plastic lens and the lens unit in front of the Xenon tube. A film had settled, but now the light now is clearer and brighter than its mate on the other side of the car. This Xenon lamp assembly is very sophisticated, but it has a sort of Rube Goldberg look too it; too complex for its own good. It's a pity these are not life-of-car assemblies. What is BMW thinking?

Registered Member
    Member No: 30282 dsalinas is on a distinguished road dsalinas's Avatar

Yes | No

By the way, there is a sensor under the car

that is part of the system that adjust the lights up and down based on the suspension input. I think there is an arm that attaches to a tie rod on the passenger side. Are both of your lights pointing down? Did they both start doing this at the same time? If so, perhaps the arm has been damaged or the clamp has become disconnected. It would be unusual for the adjusters in both headlights to break at the same time, unless you hit something hard that hit both front wheels. As I mentioned, my adjuster broke on the passenger side only after hitting a pothole. I immediately noticed that the headlight on that side would shake after every bump too. The drivers side is still good, but it's only a matter of time till it also fails.

jet black 2000 528iA
    sport premium package
    MB Quart speakers
    two Alpine amps
    MTX subwoofer
    AudioControl equalizer
    Dice interface for iPod
    BMW CCA member

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

A quick test 2 determine if it is the plastic adj(

Dave is correct about there being electrical sensors on the pass side that connect to the suspension (front and rear). If the plastic adjuster is broken you can find out by opening the hood and trying to move the backside of the low beam light (the one with the big rubber boot on it) up and down. Only use two fingers and don't force it so you don't break a good one. If it's not broken it will barely move.
    If it's broken you can easily move the backside up and down (+/-) 1/4"

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

life of car parts not on BMW . more concerned as

cars get older were are we going get parts from?

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

Crusader

Yes | No

Adjuster fix depends on year ...

97 - 00 Headlamp disassembles easily and the parts are OEM for about $12-15 a side.

01 - 02 Headlamp is held with a heat sensitive sealing compound and difficult to disassemble. Adjusters are aftermarket in Delrin or Aluminum for about $75 a side.

03 Hella replaced the sealant with one that won't release its grip with heat. Same internal parts but it takes a real expert to cut a hole in the housing to replace them.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: A quick test 2 determine if it is the plastic adj(

Thanks, I will check.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information