+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

OT, 540sport, did U ever make it Loring AFB 4 the(

mile run on the runway? I'd love to do this sometime.
    Which one of these is you?
    http://www.hotrod.com/eventcoverage/...ing/index.html

Registered Member
    Member No: 92707 540sport is on a distinguished road 540sport's Avatar

Yes | No

If I did that I might have to go back to the 2.81

Nobody else was interested in going to the Loring run. It's a 2 or 3 day trip and the car has to be teched and have safety equpment. When everybody explained to their wife that they wanted to go to Caribou Maine to run as fast as they can on an old 3 mile bomber runway, the wives inexplicably vetoed the trip. I can't understand why?

I did some high speed testing years ago, as you know, and found that my car tops out at 160 in 5th gear and then pushes slowly in 6th from that speed and I never got to the top of 6th because I ran out of straight road. The speedo said 180 but I bet it was 165 with the error. With the 2.81, 5th would top out at 178, where I think aerodynamics takes over and stops an e39 with less than 450hp. I think top speed could be reached quicker in 5th with the 2.81 in a 2 mile run like Loring. Rte 95 in Topsfield and Georgetown was a good place to go fast, not that I ever went fast there, but they run laser traps there now.

Here's my calculations
    Vin
    98 540 Sport with everything & extra hots
    BMW CCA, Boston Chapter
    "The 540 is the head-case supermodel girlfriend..." Eric S.
    "The worst thing you could do with your money is save it." ~ Jackie Gleason
    If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. Mario Andretti
    The United States is a nation of laws: poorly written and randomly enforced. - Frank Zappa

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

Yes, same problem here, should have given them(

$$$$ and sent them on a 3 say shopping trip.
    I also did some testing when I was completely stock years ago, I reached the factory limit in 5th, it's been removed however I don't think it would be wise to do any testing on public roads. Maxton in NC or Loring seem to be our only east coast choices.
    Route 95, wasn't that the same section that we were on a few years ago when the deer ran out in front of us?
    Loring is 1.5 miles before you hit the 132 foot timing traps, I wonder how fast we would chew that up? Maybe we would be better off leaving the 3.15 diff's in our cars to let the engine wind up quicker. The extra torque might help against the wind resistance.
    In a mile run the 3.15 would be my choice.
    Your running 275's on the rear, 265's on mine.
    Here is my calc's, green is the 2.81 and red is the 3.15
    OK, I'm done dreaming...back to work.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information