+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

oh crap, another issue antenna or radio trouble

or at least I think thats what it is.

Occasionally the reception goes away. No station works, no AM no FM, nothing. Then I turn off the car and next time I get in, everything works just fine.
    By working fine I mean all station working but not exactly strong signals ever.
    its a wagon 528iT and on the roof (all the way back) there is a short little chubby antenna which is in a poor condition. Is that the actual radio antenna ? or is it in the back window ? or front window ? or both ? Anybody ever had an issue like this before ?

it is a standard radio with a factory cd changer in the back.

Left front door speaker makes a bit of a noise.
    What size is it ? I assume factory is expensive and a paper cone ?
    A few years back I changed most of the E31's speakers to a harman kardon and rockford fosgate for less then half of what the factory alpine would have been.
    Sound quality improved at least compare to a 10 year old factory speakers.

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    1999 BMW 528iT (Hauler mobile)
    2002 Astro Van AWD
    2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Package
    1987 BMW 535i with 5spd manual (for sale)
    1992 BMW 735iL (needs head and interior)
    1977 BMW 320i (project racecar)
    2007 Mazda CX9 AWD (Wife mobile)
    1998 Yamaha Blaster+Breeze

1995 850CSI CD00177 (SOLD)

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: oh crap, another issue antenna or radio trouble

There's a powered amplifier for the rear window antenna(s) in the left C-pillar. Remove the trim and it's right there. Check wires and connections. If a defect is proven in the amp, open it and try to touch up any solder joints that look fishy before forking over $$.

Back in the early 2000s, I know some people complained about AM problems, but radio reception drop outs aren't a common thing around here.

Registered Member
    Member No: 56726 lezonebay is an unknown quantity at this point lezonebay's Avatar

Yes | No

trouble found if rear window defrogger turned on

the radio reception is out the window... barely anything comes on, most channels are noisy, most channels are just static. Rear defogger is off, all radio channels are perfect.

also left headlight in cases are out, sometimes works for days.
    Every time I check it, works, but at times its out. I got home today late and it did not work between 9PM-11PM but worked after 11:00Pm...

its either possessed by demons or I got a weird electro gizmo running backwords in the back :-)

any idea ?

1997 BMW 840CiA
    1990 BMW Z1
    1999 BMW 528iT (Hauler mobile)
    2002 Astro Van AWD
    2003 Nissan 350Z Enthusiast Package
    1987 BMW 535i with 5spd manual (for sale)
    1992 BMW 735iL (needs head and interior)
    1977 BMW 320i (project racecar)
    2007 Mazda CX9 AWD (Wife mobile)
    1998 Yamaha Blaster+Breeze

1995 850CSI CD00177 (SOLD)

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: trouble found if rear window defrogger turned on

Since the defogger and antenna are both on the back window, you should probably tear into that area and make sure wiring is intact, correctly connected, and grounds are good. If you have a dodgy ground in the area of the rear window the high current defogger could be elevating ground voltage enough so that the radio amp doesn't get powered properly. (Not to mention the defogger won't work worth crap and something will probably be getting very hot somewhere)

I'd also say the same about your lighting issue as a first check - inspect all of your grounds.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information