+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 86073 bimmer530 is an unknown quantity at this point bimmer530's Avatar

Yes | No

Advice: Automatic Trans Fluid Change

Need advice for a 12/2000 BMW 530ia with 76,000 miles. Do you recommemd replacing autotransmission fluid and filter, since they say the oil is for lifetime of the car. Some people say to replace it, some keep it coz the transmission was sealed. Any pros and cons about this topic coz I trying to set up a schedule to shop. Don't know if I will go or keep the trans sealed.
    Thanks to you all.
    Bimmer530

User Level 8
    Member No: 21320 edjack will become famous soon enough edjack's Avatar

Yes | No

No fluid is lifetime. If you plan to keep the car>

for several more years, by all means, replace the fluid. You'll need to drain and fill the pan 3-4 times to get most of the fluid replaced.

Most here do not recommend a pressure flush.

Don't forget to get the diff lube changed, too.

BTW, the trans is not "sealed".

You should, at that mileage, also replace the VANOS seals. You will be very pleased with the result.

www.beisansystems.com
    Ed in San Jose. BMW CCA member since 1987 (Nr. 62319). Golden Gate Chapter. '97 540i 6 speed. Build Date 3/97. Aspensilber over Aubergine leather.

Registered Member
    Member No: 7808 zerodfx is an unknown quantity at this point zerodfx's Avatar

Yes | No

I echo this advice

I just changed the filter & tranny fluid on my 2000 528iT and am very glad I did; noticeable renewed smoothness in shifting. There was a large glob of gunk surrounding the magnet in the main pan confirming it was doing its job; but I'm glad I got that crap out of there.

I exchanged approx. 6 quarts of fluid with this change, so as Ed says, I will have to do it again to get at the remaining old fluid that's still in there.

I also did the double-vanos seals a few months back and that too made a noticeable difference; I recommend you do that after the fluid/filter work as well.

Good luck

Miniron

Yes | No

ZF 5HP19 Transmission Oil Change

ZF themselves have changed their recommendations for so called lifetime oil fills.
    If the vehicle has normal use then change after approx 10 years.
    If use is what ZF define as severe service then every 80K to 120K Kms. (50K to 75K miles)
    Severe use is:
    Driving at high speed for extended periods
    Frequent towing of a heavy trailer
    Driving in a "spirited or sporty" manner
    The criteria is really about high transmission oil temperatures.
    The original fluid, Esso LT71141/ZF Lifeguardfluid 5 is apparently formulated to take into account some use that generates high oil temps but not for extended periods.
    See page 3 of this link for more info.
    http://www01apps.zf.com/kst464/ZF_InteroeleV2_manager/Work/2009-10-01/TE-ML%2011_en0700.pdf

Regards
    RonR

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information