+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 112995 gitchman72 is an unknown quantity at this point gitchman72's Avatar

Yes | No

Coolent Level When Cold

I opened the rad cap when the car was cold, should it be full? Mine was not.

Registered Member
    Member No: 49642 beecee is an unknown quantity at this point beecee's Avatar

Yes | No

There should be a plunger to indicate level

Registered Member
    Member No: 108840 AussieBob is on a distinguished road AussieBob's Avatar

Yes | No

At the Cold/Kalt line on the expansion tank

Steve, your car is 12 months younger than my M52 engined 528i so your expansion tank may have a black line on it labled COLD/KALT.

I use a flash light to shine through the tank to monitor the coolant level, it should be at this black line when cold.

Ever since I got wallet raped by $tealers with a new head, rebuilt cooling system my car still over heated !!!! Only after a new Indy Mechanic replaced the main fan clutch all was back to normal again and still is years since.

If you are not losing coolant from the expansion tank I'd replace the fan clutch first based on my very very similar experience to what you are now going through.

And the Indy mechanic also showed me how the Aux fan would not turn on before he fixed the fan clutch and replaced the termostat housing for the 3rd and last time. Note: I have very VERY expensive new Aux fan on my car and an Aux fan also on my garage shelf that guess what? STILL WORKS. Because at the time I was a dlckhead and believed the BMW Factory Trained Marketing bull$hit I paid the price.

Confirm that the coolant is not disappearing, if you have no white smoke from the exhaust in the morning and cannot smell coolant from the exhaust replace the fan clutch first and see if your 98 528i behaves the same as my 97 528i and have some sleep and night and sheer driving pleasure (fortunately the BMW Marketing Bull$hit sometimes doesn't smell).

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Coolent Level When Cold

It should never be full.

You need to tell us what car you have.

On the V8s, there's a float stick and clear instruction diagrams on the expansion tank how to read it - the float should come up to the cap level when cold.

On the I6s there's a COLD line drawn on the outside of the tank. The level should be there when it's cold.

Registered Member
    Member No: 92682 Filehorse will become famous soon enough Filehorse's Avatar

Yes | No

Later model I6's have the float system too. > >

A properly filled system will have the top of the float stem even with the top of the expansion tank neck when COLD (i.e. in the mornings after sitting overnight). If all else fails, read the instructions on the expansion tank cap. :-)

Filehorse
    Knoxville, TN
    BMWCCA #407627

2002 525i Steptronic Sport/Premium | Build Date: 05/02
    81,000 Ultimate Driving miles
    Xenons
    Style 81s | Bridgestone Potenza RE960 AS
    Titanium Gray | Gray Leather
    35% LLumar ATR LLumaStar tint
    Valentine 1 | Hardwired
    Steering wheel position memory w/Alzheimers
    "Lifetime" ATF replaced at 40,000; Switched to Valvoline MaxLife @ the 80,000 mile service
    StopTech SportStop slotted rotors w/Axxis Deluxe Advanced pads
    StopTech SS Braided Brake Lines

2001 E46 325i (Jet Black) Forced Retirement 6/28/09

2001 E46 325i (Orient Blue) Forced Retirement 10/09

1989 E30 325i (Alpine White) Retired

Crusader

Yes | No

Level with the top of the filler when "cold" ...

But I think that means cold on a standard day (15C, 59F). If it's REALLY cold, it might be a little bit lower, or really warm a little higher. In either case, we're talking less than an inch travel which isn't much fluid.

ExAlfa

Yes | No

Level indicator can get stuck. Poke it. Cold = 68F

per the manual (20C), so a range of temps that I would consider typical cold are from 50F - 75F. If the level stick isn't floating in sight (there is a 1/4" round ball at the top of the stick) use a flashlight to see the top of the stick and give it a poke with your finger to free it up. If it moves up and down like it's suspended in liquid then your coolant level is down. If the stick was stuck it should pop up and indicate the coolant level. When cold that ball should be level with the top of the filler neck as shown on the expansion tank. Be sure to use nitrite and amino-free extended-duty antifreeze with corrosion inhibitor per BMW requirement.

CoolAnt

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information