+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 24009 wernst is an unknown quantity at this point wernst's Avatar

Yes | No

Replacing the Trunk Lid's "shocks"?

All,

So today, I noticed it was much tougher than normal to open the trunk, like the trunk like was very heavy. Likewise, when I went to close it, it slammed shut on its own.

I assume this means that one or more of the little gas pistons that look like shocks on the trunk lid hinges have failed.

When I looked closely, it looks like one of the pistons leaked its fluid a bit.

So, can someone point me to a write-up on replacing these? It looks like there's probably a simple trick to it.

Also, is the dealer pretty much the only place to get replacements?

Thanks,
    Warr

Registered Member
    Member No: 90386 Monolith is an unknown quantity at this point Monolith's Avatar

Yes | No

Just a ball and socket joint held in place

with a clip. Use a flat screwdriver, etc. to pry up the clip. Make sure you have the trunk supported if you plan on taking off both old shocks before putting on the new ones.

Registered Member
    Member No: 13295 bryanclar is on a distinguished road bryanclar's Avatar

Yes | No

any luck with the German shop?

97 2.8 Arctic Silver - Tanin Red interior with wood console - black top
    Whalen Shift Machine, polished - Type II windscreen (non roll-hoops) - Bilstein HD shocks/struts
    Axxis Metal Master pads - Brembo rotors - Doug Whalen seat bushings
    Passenger Eject (unfortunately non-functional) - OEM Passenger Airbag Disable switch
    Polk Audio all around - Blaupunkt PA amps - LeatherZ Mark II armrest - Strong Strut Trio - AUX input via tapedeck

D.R.Smith

Yes | No

Re: any luck with the German shop?

I checked at napa today as mine need replacing.$47.00 each for the Z3

Monolith

Yes | No

Re: any luck with the German shop?

It's going to take some time. Fairly rare part. I'll let you know if he turns one up. Thanks again.

Registered Member
    Member No: 149143 lpcapital is an unknown quantity at this point lpcapital's Avatar

Yes | No

Just pry off the metal clip

with a flathead screwdriver and pull the shock to remove it. I would highly recommend having a helper to hold the trunk open while you remove the shock or the trunk might slam close. Not only that could hurt you, but, most importantly, the now loose shock might get stuck between the lid and the body causing a nasty ding...
    ---------------------------------

2003 Z4 2.5i
    2002 Ducati Monster S4

ZZZING

Yes | No

replacements

Dealer will charge you more, of course. I got replacements from Pelican Parts for much cheaper. Local auto parts store may have them as well.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Oh, so these things are fairly universal?

I'm so used to necessary parts being special-voodoo-BMW parts, but these struts are fairly generic, are they?

-Warr

ZZZING

Yes | No

Re: Oh, so these things are fairly universal?

You can definitely get non-BMW replacements for cheaper. I replaced mine about in '06, they are still working fine, and I open my trunk 3 or 4 times a day (car (roof) cover).

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Oh, so these things are fairly universal?

Pelican had OEM versions of them for about $15 each, whereas ebay had generic ones for about $30 for two. Needless to say, I ordered them from Pelican.

Thanks for the pointers, guys.

-Warr

Registered Member
    Member No: 71268 CarterTG is an unknown quantity at this point CarterTG's Avatar

Yes | No

Universal. Not necessarily ubiquitous.

I wandered through the local Pep-Boys/Autozones a few years ago to see if I could get my hands on a replacement. In the gas-strut section, their leashed reference book listed the part number for the Z3, but it wasn't something normally stocked on the shelf. Special order. I think I ended up ordering BMW OEM.
    Carter

Carter
    '96 Z3 _7_7_7_7
    roadster
    Dinan Stage I Suspension, Dinan Cold Air Intake, Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3, Bosch Platinum +4, Ground Control RSMs

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information