+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 21689 Gadjo.Dilo is an unknown quantity at this point Gadjo.Dilo's Avatar

Yes | No

Confusing realoem pulley info for M54 engine

The idler and tensioner pulley for the alternator/waterpump belt drive get a bit noisy in my 2002 525iT. So I'm planning to replace them both before they fail, along with the belt and waterpump itself + its pulley. So far it's all clear to me.

I checked realoem for my car to find the right P/Ns and found out that the tensioner pulley is called "complete hydraulic belt tensioner" with P/N 11287838797. That would be the tensioner pully, correct? And why does hte belt have no P/N?

See here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DS43&mospid=47594&btnr=11_2190&hg=11&fg=18

And here:
    http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DS43&mospid=47594&btnr=11_2205&hg=11&fg=18

Following the second link, in the same overview there is mentioned also a mechanical belt tensioner which P/N has ended. Is this a predecessor of the current hydraulic belt tensioner? Does this apply to my car?

And there is also mentioned an adjusting pulley with P/N 11281748131 but it has no assigned drawing number. Would this be the idler pulley? Or would that be the deflection pulley #5 with P/N 11287841228?

I will also need to replace the ribbed belt. However, the P/N 11281706545 of the ribbed belt 6PK X 1538 applies only to the mechanical belt tensioner. So what's the belt P/N in case my car has a hydraulic tensioner?

Any advice/info is welcome. I don't want to make multiple trips to the dealer and find out later that I can't return incorrectly ordered parts.

Thanks.

Gadjo
    2002 525iT
    108,000kms/67,500mls

Registered Member
    Member No: 30282 dsalinas is on a distinguished road dsalinas's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Confusing realoem pulley info for M54 engine

I had some work done last year including a coolant flush and new tensioner pulleys since the old ones were making noise. I was told that the old mechanical pulleys were replaced with hydraulic versions. Looking at my receipt, it shows "complete hydraulic belt tensioner" with the same part number you indicated. I also have two ribbed v-belts listed on the receipt with part numbers #11281706545 at $41.18 and #11281437450 at $26.10. There is also an "adjusting pulley" shown as part #11281748131 at $64.36.

jet black 2000 528iA
    sport premium package
    MB Quart speakers
    two Alpine amps
    MTX subwoofer
    AudioControl equalizer
    Dice interface for iPod
    BMW CCA member

Registered Member
    Member No: 21689 Gadjo.Dilo is an unknown quantity at this point Gadjo.Dilo's Avatar

Yes | No

Thanks, Dave. You've shed some more light in this. Comparing your and my realoem numbers as well as some sites of wellknown parts suppliers have shown the correct P/Ns for my car.

I can't wait to get rid of this noise. It's been getting worse over the last few months so I won't postpone this any longer. I'll do the waterpump + its pulley and also the A/C pulley + belt as well now that my mechanic is going to work on this.

We could have shared the same roads in Chicago: I drove it around for part of 2008 in this city before I took it to Europe. I'm sure the famous Chicago potholes ruined both my rear wishbones; they have started to leak out of their rubber boots ;-)

Gadjo

Miniron

Yes | No

Gadjo Dilo
    It certainly is a bit confusing.
    Some engines had the mechanical tensioner which has been superseded by the hydraulic tensioner. The mechanical tensioner is no longer available. (At least from BMW)
    To replace the mechanical tensioner you need the complete hydraulic assembly as per your first link. If your car had the hydraulic tensioner originally fitted you can just replace the pully. The mechanical tensioner only came as an assembly.(pully wasn't available separately)
    Belt is the same for both types of tensioner.
    Deflection pully is the same for both types of tensioner.
    Just went through all this with an M52TU engine (same pully and belt setup as M54) and replaced the mechanical tensioner assembly with a new one only to find after the event that it had been superseded by the hydraulic tensioner.
    There is an SI regarding this from BMW (but I don't have the SI number)

Hope this helps
    RonR

Registered Member

Yes | No

Hi Ron,

thanks for chiming in and sharing this information. I've made a preliminary partlist and your info matches what's on there so I should be all set to order all at the dealer in just one go.

I will keep you all updated o how this will turn out to be.

Cheers,
    Gadjo

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

BMWFANS.INFO is also excellent part# source, try

them and compare.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option
    Actron 9135 scan tool-for quick readouts

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: BMWFANS.INFO is also excellent part# source, try

Same confusion here. I checked with the dealer and they ordered according what they think are the right parts. it pretty well matches with other members' feedback. So I most likely won't have the trouble of returning wrong parts.

i will keep you updated on this.

Gadjo
    2002 525iT
    68,000mls

Dave S.

Yes | No

Haha. Yeah, the Chicago streets are getting real

bad lately. I was traveling west on Harrison just east of Rush University Medical Center when I hit the huge pothole that broke one of my headlight adjusters. I'm sure it was bound to happen anyway due to the age of the car but this pothole was ridiculous. Enjoy the much better maintained roads in Europe. I lived in Germany for a few years in the 70's. There is no comparison.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Headlight adjusters

I still have my original headlight adjusters; they survived the huge 2008 holes at the northern part of Lake Shore Drive as well as stretches of Cicero...

I found a UK company that sells metal adjusters. It will be a matter of time before I will give them a call. Roads are smooth here but it's delaying the inevitable.

Take care.

Gadjo

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information