+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 103416 faetschg is an unknown quantity at this point faetschg's Avatar

Yes | No

rear window molding cracked

The black molding around the rear window on my 2000 m-roadster is cracked and brittle and separating in some areas. Does this mean a new rear window (or worse?)

Registered Member
    Member No: 13295 bryanclar is on a distinguished road bryanclar's Avatar

Yes | No

yep...

If it's cracked and it's not just the canvas coming up from underneath, you'll need a new window. I'd recommend OEM but others have used different ones in the past. For the best price I've found on OEM windows, try huskerbmw.com. Ask for Jeff Gomon.

97 2.8 Arctic Silver - Tanin Red interior with wood console - black top
    Whalen Shift Machine, polished - Type II windscreen (non roll-hoops) - Bilstein HD shocks/struts
    Axxis Metal Master pads - Brembo rotors - Doug Whalen seat bushings
    Passenger Eject (unfortunately non-functional) - OEM Passenger Airbag Disable switch
    Polk Audio all around - Blaupunkt PA amps - LeatherZ Mark II armrest - Strong Strut Trio - AUX input via tapedeck

Registered Member
    Member No: 81808 catdaddylong is an unknown quantity at this point catdaddylong's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: rear window molding cracked

Same thing happened to my 2000. I had a local top shop replace the top with the same type of top but the window was not zipped in like the OEM. Other than that and the roundel that is down in the corner you cannot tell the difference from the OEM top. Top shop guy told me that after 6 or 7 years most convertible tops need to be replaced. Mine was in good shape but he told me it would be a just a matter of time that the thread sewn around the window would start to deteriate and unravel. Cost to just replace back window was around $700 and to replace top which comes with new window was around $1200. I bit the bullet and got the new top.

Cat2000 Z3 2.3
    2005 Lexus ES330
    2008 Lexus RX350

Registered Member
    Member No: 183924 dorkdog is an unknown quantity at this point dorkdog's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: yep...

also be careeful - if you lower the top with these pieces of stiff rubber tubing sticking out from your window, the top could become frayed from rubbing against the window trim - as mine has.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information