+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 16020 jasonkey is an unknown quantity at this point jasonkey's Avatar

Yes | No

vent fan not working

My air vent fan has stopped working. will not turn on at all (AC, heat, or vent). I checked my fuses and they all look fine. Any recommendations / estimates on getting a repair?

I've tried searching the archives and didn't come up with anything.

'94 325ic

Registered Member
    Member No: 17062 JKRIT is on a distinguished road JKRIT's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: vent fan not working

Typically the final stage unit (FSU) dies. Pretty simple to replace; It's behind the console above the accelerator area. Sometimes the blower motor itself burns out. The Chinese replacement ones work fine at a fraction of the price, but the job is a PIA. If you change the motor, then do the FSU at the same time in case the FSU is what killed the motor.

If you have the digital control panel, then you may need to replace or at least re-solder a capacitor on the circuit board. Somebody used to offer an exchange service for this; I think it was $50.

Info on all of the above should be in the archives here or on the broader web.
    '03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
    '02 325it Orient Blu./Grey, SP, Nav
    '98 323is Arctic Sil./Blk, SP
    '95 M3 Cosmos Blk./Blk

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

Sometimes they stick, too.

Listen to the man, it probably is the final stage resistor. Guess I have done this three times, now.

But on two occasions, the fan just "stuck" and when I opened up the plenum (search online, it ain't too easy, you have to remove the windshield wipers and the plastic cowl cover) and then just "spun" the fan by hand, it worked fine after that.

I think the carbon brushes can get stuck to the armature after a heavy rain. Or it could be a sign the fan is about to fail.

It is not too hard to replace. The hardest part is taking off the wipers, plastic cowl cover, etc.

Good Luck.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information