+ Reply to Thread
    Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Quickie ? about FSU from those of you who know

My HVAC fan works on all speeds with the following exception:

low speed is very high and any other selection just makes the fan go faster. Choices are: off, fast, faster, faster, faster, and even faster. Is that possibly the FSU?

In other BMWs when the FSU went out you could not select fan speeds at all, just low speed or no fan at all.

Sounds almost like a quiet hair dryer the fan speed is so fast.

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 spd

Registered Member
    Member No: 23375 Gans will become famous soon enough Gans's Avatar

Yes | No

FSU is the place to start , is easy to replace

www.540i6.com http://www.540i6.com/finalstagereplacement.html
    I would start there bad fsu cause weird things with fan speed

Jay Gans 2000 528 MT Non-sport.Titanium Silver, Grey Leather. Premium Package, Cold Weather, Fold down seats. Oct 99 production.ash try mod so not bone stock. CD changer. Garmin C510 Nav..Honda CH150D scooter

william540i

Yes | No

When my FSU went, it was Off, off, off, off, FAST.

So, I would bet it is the FSU that has failed on the low amp side... Mine opened up on the low amp side, thus only working on the zero resistance setting... Looks like yours is zero resistance (or nearly zero), regardless of setting...

I would check it with a new FSU before pulling the old, and installing the new... Just unplug the wire, turn it on, and see what happens... If it works like it should, you get the fun job of fishing the old out, and the new in the very tight spot they put it...

Good luck!!

Cheers!!

william540i

Yes | No

Oh, forgot something... I need to proof read.

**Unplug the connector, connect up new FSU, turn it on and see what happens...** But I'm sure you knew what I meant...

Cheers!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 4328 jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev will become famous soon enough jimlev's Avatar

Yes | No

When mine died the fan speeds were not (m)

controllable, the fan had a mind of it's own. As the others have said change the FSU and make sure you get the newer style one that has lots more cooling fingers on it.
    The HVAC panel send a signal directly to the FSU, start with the FSU it's about 20 times less expensive.

Bimmer5Michael

Yes | No

Thanks folks, 4 years ago I had to replace the

panel on the control unit because 3 or 4 of the buttons fell off. I bought a new panel at the delaer with new buttons and replaced. What fun that was. It has worked fine until about a year ago.

All the buttons do what they are supposed to do except the fan speed control buttons. I hope the FSU witll do the trick as I would rather not have to purchase one even through eBay.

If I had a Mullet, I would look like one of those Castrol comercials on TV going down the road with my hair flying straight back!!

All from my supercharged heater AC fan

Michael
    00 540 sport 6 speed.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information