+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 155588 Palmtree is an unknown quantity at this point Palmtree's Avatar

Yes | No

Volume Limitation on Radio

I recently picked up my 2011 328i (Titanium Silver/Gray Dakota, SP, PP, heated seats and wheel, satellite radio) and I love it. It the fourth BMW I've owned, and like my previous models, it's awesome. However, I've noticed that there seems to be a substantially lower limit on the highest volume of the radio (BMW Professional). Has anyone else noticed this issue? It's a problem if you're driving with the windows down and still want to be able to enjoy your radio. Also, does anyone know of any available fixes (i.e. after market amps, etc.) and the cost involved? Thanks!

Registered Member
    Member No: 37990 ctuna_97 is an unknown quantity at this point ctuna_97's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Volume Limitation on Radio

If you bought a 2010or 20111 car that was built between the beginning of 2010 and August 2010 and you did not order logic 7 you got a downgraded sound system that was not previously released in the US. This is the European Base Model it has no Amp or Tweeters and only Head Unit power to the speakers. There were so many people upset by this that they put it back in September of this year. The best place to look at Mods for the stereo and Electronics it E 90 post dot com
    They have an audio sub board there since this site detects anything that says dot com I can not give you the direct link.

Registered Member
    Member No: 37990 ctuna_97 is an unknown quantity at this point ctuna_97's Avatar

Yes | No

Insert [Oops!] at oops

Registered Member
    Member No: 155588 Palmtree is an unknown quantity at this point Palmtree's Avatar

Yes | No

Do I have any recourse with BMWNA?

Registered Member

Yes | No

I can't give you legal advice I only know what happened.
    Because this has been covered as nausem on the other BMW Boards such
    as [Oops!] dot com and [Oops!] dot com But there were a lot of people hopping mad about it.

Registered Member

Registered Member

Yes | No

http://www.[Oops!].com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

Registered Member
    Member No: 145586 floydarogers is an unknown quantity at this point floydarogers's Avatar

Yes | No

Outline of fixes

If you do have the "base" system, it has only 6 speakers: subs under the front seats, a 4" mid-range in each front door and another set of 4" mid-range in the parcel shelf.
    Solutions:
    1) Buy the European upgrade kit. It's around $400-$425 mail order from Schmiedmann in Denmark, takes 2-4 hours to install. Includes tweeters for front doors (have to order the trim separately, or modify the blanks you have), upgraded mid-range speakers, and an amp that goes in the trunk under the floor next to the bluetooth/nav/etc.
    2) Buy one of the two upgrade kits from BSW - one is speakers only (but includes the tweeters for front and rear) - around $500, or add an amp. Again, 2-4 hours installation.
    3) Real expensive aftermarket stuff.

The part #s are all on the www if you google for them. Also DIY and reviews.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: Outline of fixes

From what I have read there are now two levels of the Alpine fix kit the new one requires reprogramming of the Head Unit for a flat frequency response it must be done by BMW or a shop with an Autologic programmer and the right software. Both kits include front door tweeters and better front door speakers.
    BSW is promising they will have and Amplifier Speaker combination out soon to fix this.
    Musicar of Portland Oregon can give you some custom systems built to any level you want and they are fairly easy to self install or would be very easy for your local installer to put in.

Registered Member
    Member No: 68564 Lakefan is an unknown quantity at this point Lakefan's Avatar

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful. Yes | No

I just picked up my 328xi Coupe and I agree...the "professional" model is (to be kind) dismal. A world class car should have a world class stereo system. The radio has the most volume but gets extremely muddy when volume levels begin to rise. I have emailed my local BMW dealer to see what they have to say. Has anyone converted to the Harmon Kardon system? I am worried that aftermarket upgrades may void the warranty or reduce some functionality...

Registered Member

Yes | No

It should only effect the warranty on the part of the car
    you modified . There is a law that states this plenty of people are
    adding amps and speakers.
    Only that Euro Alpine mod is installed be BMW
    There is an audio electronics board just for BMW I found that
    is actually the best for describing add on Send me an email and I will send you the link.

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information