+ Reply to Thread
    Registered Member
    Member No: 183924 dorkdog is an unknown quantity at this point dorkdog's Avatar

Yes | No

New Z3 owner has a question

Hi,

I recently picked up a 2000 2.8 roadster locally and have been having fun driving it in the waning days of top down weather here in PA.

Anyway I have noticed a couple of things I'd like to get clarification on if you all would be so kind.

First, there is a ckunking noise that often happens under the car when I shift from 1st to 2nd. It happens as soon as I depress the clutch. I do not feel it in the pedal and it is a rhythmic sound - bachunk-chunk-chunk - at about 4 Hz with a dampened amplitude - like dropping a bowling ball. It seems only to happen with the 1 - 2 shift. Clutch release seems normal although being new to the car I sometimes get my timing off. Note also that it makes this noise sitting still but not every time.

Second, there is a whistling sound that appears when I accelerate. Barely perceptible, a clear, fixed pitch whistle. Too much or too little gas and it goes away. Seems to decrease as the engine warms but it is still there.

Third, there is a little panel that sits next to the top up/down switch that has an LED and an aluminizaed hole/aperture of some sort. Can't find it anywhere in the manual. What is it??!

Thanks so much for your help. What a great car and supportive community her!

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: New Z3 owner has a question

sorry... I meant 'here'.

dd

Monolith

Yes | No

The little panel is a glass breakage sensor

It is tied into your car alarm.

Registered Member

Yes | No

I can accept that, but...

doesn't it seem a bit strange to put a glass sensor in a car with an easily slittable cloth top?

User Level 8
    Member No: 6602 fredr is on a distinguished road fredr's Avatar

Yes | No

Most alarms are universal in application,

not roadster specific.
    Fred
    96 1.9 Z3 black/tan/black
    97 M3/4 estoril/gray
    08 Kubota 3400 HST orange/charcoal
    08 GMC Sierra stealth gray/gray

Registered Member
    Member No: 56153 vcosta is an unknown quantity at this point vcosta's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I can accept that, but...

The would-be theives can slit the top, but they can't easily reach anything important (like the door handle), and the top bows are too close together for someone of normal size to crawl through. I've had my top slit twice, but the car wasn't entered and nothing was stolen either time.

On the other hand, the theives can slit the back window and crawl across the trunk lid, then between the roll hoops to get in (had that happen once), or the easiest thing to do is break a side window and open the door (had that happen once, too).

vc

markwb9

Yes | No

A couple of ideas

The noise you are hearing may be a bad flex disc or "guibo". This is a rubber coupler between the tranny output and the driveshaft. They are know to go bad. Do a visual inspection to confirm. While your under the car take a look at the driveshaft carrier bearing and the input on the rear diff. It may also be new owner syndrome, as you learn to drive drive your new ride you will get better at shifting. The whistle noise could be from a cracked intake boot, also a know issues as our cars get some age. Check the rubber boots from the air filter box to the throttle body, look closely as these can be hard to find and a small crack/split can whistle. And it looks somebody already answered the other question. Welcome to the Z3 community, this is a great group. Where are you located is PA? I'm in Central PA and the area rep for ZSCCA. We just did a really nice drive last week-end and invite you to join in.

Registered Member
    Member No: 181466 ZooMer is an unknown quantity at this point ZooMer's Avatar

Yes | No

Ummmm, maybe....

you need to be parking somewhere else!! ;-)

Ouch, two tops, a back window and a side window. And I bet insurance did not cover it all.
    2001 ///M Roadster #16
    Laguna Seca Blue - no mods

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information