+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Old-timers?

Registered Member
    Member No: 6093 skip is an unknown quantity at this point skip's Avatar

Yes | No

Old-timers?

Hi,

In 2001 I had a X5 3.0 and posted a bit on this board. I went to the archives and found a few of the old posts, and it got me wondering if there were any "old timers" still around. I sold my X5 in late 2001, but I've got a 2011 X5 35d on order and was feeling a bit nostalgic. If you were around back then, I was one of the posters who created custom images of X5s, including parodies such as the Bascalade (Escalade-like X5), Bavtek (Aztek-like X5), and so on. It was a fun board back then, with lots of folks talking about the then-new X5.

Cheers,

Skip

Registered Member
    Member No: 49642 beecee is an unknown quantity at this point beecee's Avatar

Yes | No

I wish there was more discourse here....

I just picked up an 06 4.8is in Sepetember. Would be nice to have daily Q&A discussions about the X5.

Maybe it will pick up again.

Grahambo740iL and now X5
    Member No: Grahambo740iL and now X5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: I wish there was more discourse here....

I have been using the E32 forum since '99 and a wealth of information there. Without it, I would not have been able to avoid the automobile. My X5 is my 11th BMW - it is really my wife's 3rd but I started with '74 2002 in '78, then 4 Bavarias, '81 733 (odometer quit at 310,000 miles, '93 528i, 2000 528i and now just the 03 740iL (193,000 miles). Approaching a million miles in BMWs.

I agree on the lack of discourse here.

Registered Member

Yes | No

Just sold an E39 540 to get a 4.8is >>

Maybe we can bring this board to life!

The E39 board is also alive and well

Keep posting here :)

Grahambo740iL and now X5
    Member No: Grahambo740iL and now X5's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Just sold an E39 540 to get a 4.8is >>

The E39 board did improve over the years of my ownership of one so I am with you. I suppose I am a true old timer. Here in East Tennessee they never even heard of BMWs when I bought the '74 2002 - miss that car. It had complete Miller&Norburn suspension and other mods. I am a bit eccentric - still have my first three motorcycles - '59 BSA 650, '67 BSA Spitfire and Rickman Kawasaki 900CR - worked on many of the Brit bikes in the 70s.

Registered Member
    Member No: 152169 caisson12 is an unknown quantity at this point caisson12's Avatar

Yes | No

Try;

http://www.xoutpost.com/forums.html

I think you'll like it.........
    2003 525i w/66's Daily Driver
    Valentine 1
    Sterling Gray Metallic over Black
    Last of the great e39's
    2006 X5 4.4 Ti Silver over Black

Robert Platt Bell

Yes | No

X5 owners atypcial

I think as these cars trickle down to more "traditional" BMW owners, such as yourselves, you will see more "discourse".

You've had a number of BMWs, know what to expect, and are not afraid to get a wrench and fix them.

Most X5 buyers, particularly new-car buyers, are not previous BMW owners, but are instead cross-shopping a Lexus or other "luxury SUV".

They assume (wrongly) that a BMW, being expensive, will be more reliable than a Honda. And that, of course, is wrong.

You know how that works out - expectations clash with reality.

So instead of "how do I fix my broken X5?" types of posts, we get "How can I sue BMW because my car broke 5 years out of warranty?"

There are OTHER forums whose names I cannot publish here because they will be censored, where there is more technical discussion.

X5*world
    Bummerforums

for example.

I have found this car to be more reliable that my E36's. It is an odd car for a BMW, but a heck of a good tow vehicle.

FWIW

x5farmer

Yes | No

Re: X5 owners atypcial

My 2001 has 105,000 miles on it --- runs good but service light goes on and off -- what should be done to this car if I decide to keep driving it -- extended warranty is over -- had about $9000 of repairs done to it!!!!!

Registered Member
    Member No: 73612 PeterBivo is an unknown quantity at this point PeterBivo's Avatar

Yes | No

Robert, VERY good points:) Our '03 X5 4.4 now (m)

has 100k miles on it and we bought it preowned 10/06 w/40k. We LOVE the vehicle and the way it drives, especially on LONG highway trips. Maintainence has been minimal, oil changes every 6k or so, new spark plugs at 85k. Now, we have the valley pan gasket leak issue. I went to the best Indy in this area (Traverse City, MI) and he quoted me a price of about $1850.00 to do everything involved, head gaskets both sides, water pump, labor (9hrs), etc etc. Problem is, his quote for parts alone was $890.00. I can get everything from autohausaz.com for about $400.00 and he will not allow me to supply the OEM parts. So, I will go to the dealer who has no problem allowing me to purchase the parts & I'll just pay for the labor, saving almost $500.00 by avoiding the Indy:))) Also! Front outer CV boots replaced a month ago. LOVE the X5:)))

Registered Member

Yes | No

Re: X5 owners atypcial

Glad to hear that you think it's a good tow vehicle....I bought it to start towing my M3 to the track. Many people are so scared to tow with it.

I haven't had it long enough to confrim the reliability but so far so good. I think it will be fine.

BUT, IMO, it will be exrtemely hard to beat my E36 M3 for reliability...that thing was, as in-fact, still is bullet-proof. Even though it's a dedicated track/race car, it's still reliable. Awesome car!

corys530

Yes | No

Thats funny, i did the same thing except i had a 2001 530 and sold it to buy a 2006 4.4 x5 silver over black int..........now i miss the e39 and am gonna give it to the wife, sell her 330 and get another e39, a 540 this time as i love the V8! the X5 is too awesome to sell!
    Dont bmrs rule!!!!!!!!!!!

corys 530....330...x5

Registered Member
    Member No: 33692 DriverX is an unknown quantity at this point DriverX's Avatar

Yes | No
    Hi Skip,

I remember you, and the funny pictures you mentioned that people put up. Other names that come up are Alpina and Mickey if I remember correctly.

I still have my 2001 3.0, going strong. Have had to make several minor repairs but nothing big. Around 70k miles.

About to check out the new vBulletin forums regarding mirror discoloration...

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    Hi,

In 2001 I had a X5 3.0 and posted a bit on this board. I went to the archives and found a few of the old posts, and it got me wondering if there were any "old timers" still around. I sold my X5 in late 2001, but I've got a 2011 X5 35d on order and was feeling a bit nostalgic. If you were around back then, I was one of the posters who created custom images of X5s, including parodies such as the Bascalade (Escalade-like X5), Bavtek (Aztek-like X5), and so on. It was a fun board back then, with lots of folks talking about the then-new X5.

Cheers,

Skip
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote 76.21.101.142

+ Reply to Thread

Thread Information