+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Registered Member
    Member No: 160747 jlshand is an unknown quantity at this point jlshand's Avatar

Yes | No

Fan Clutch issue

I'd like to hear members "take" on the following. I have a high mileage (230,000) e39 which I have owned for three years. Recently replaced the fan,fan clutch, water pump and belts. Ran perfectly for 2,000 miles!!!

Last week I heard a rattling which got louder and louder. Opened the hood and the fan had come off the clutch and was hitting the fan shroud.

I havent yet had time to jack the car up and look further but.....Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I had used special tools to remove old fan and fan clutch recognizing the parts spun on counter clockwise.
    I must have done it correctly as I drove 2,000 miles without a hint of a problem.

Just wondered if anyone has run into something like this before . Any insights greatly appreciated. I love this car and was initially very proud of having done the work myself. Now???????? jlshand

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Re: Fan Clutch issue

Do you mean that the three hex head screws that attach the plastic blades to the fan had come loose?

Or do you have play and wobble in the clutch or the water pump?

The left-hand threads tighten from the rotation of the engine - they aren't just going to loosen in normal use.

jlshand

Yes | No

Craig,

Thanks for responding. The fan is totally off the clutch. I can move it around but of course can't get it out because of the shroud. I remember having trouble getting the fan properly mounted with the three hex screws but finally got it the only way it would fit and I tightened those hex screws plenty well.

Have you ever heard of these working their way loose despite 2,000 miles with NO problems? Is it likely I will need to replace the clutch again as well as the fan itself? Even with the fan clattering against the shroud I was able to drive home without any change in engine temperature.

I havent gotten underneath yet but there doesnt appear to be any wobble in the clutch or pump. There was wobble in the old pump which caused the problem (shredded belt) to begin with.

Thanks for any recommendation

Registered Member
    Member No: 16800 calemon is an unknown quantity at this point calemon's Avatar

Yes | No

Which E39 do you have?

On the 540s I've worked on, you can simply remove a detached fan from behind the shroud. On my 528 the 528 can rest inside of the shroud against the radiator and it isn't "flopping around".

What kind of trouble were you having mounting the fan blades? From having swapped blades on clutches about 5 times, I don't recall anything that could possibly be troublesome.

Any chance of providing a pic? Even a cellphone pic? We might be misunderstanding each other.

jlshand

Yes | No

Craig,

My car is a 528I. I've taken a closer look and found the fan was attached to the clutch with just one of the three original nuts. And it was already hand loose. Found another nut at the bottom of the shroud. So I have been able to remove the last loose nut and the fan. The fan doesnt look broken in any way.

Now the nut is just a one inch hex nut (#4 on the top) which fit in tightly but was/is not long enough to extend very far into the clutch. Certainly not long enough to bolt through the clutch.

Do you think just replacing with three longer nuts (and bolts) should work? Any thing obviously wrong with nuts extending further into the clutch itself? Given of course they dont extend so far as to hit something behind the clutch. I believe I installed the fan to the clutch correctly because it was my third configuration attempt and the only one that provided sufficient clearance. Yet I'm hard pressed to think these nuts would come off so easily.

My shroud was already in pretty bad shape so I sawed away enough that I think I can re-attach the fan from the top.

Would appreciate your thoughts very much, thanks again

Registered Member
    Member No: 21537 sktn77a is an unknown quantity at this point sktn77a's Avatar

Yes | No

Hate to state the obvious, but the fan shroud serves a purpose. Are you sure you haven't compromized the airflow (cooling) by sawing part of it away?

Keith
    2001 530i 5sp

Registered Member
    Member No: 119706 Bmw540san is on a distinguished road Bmw540san's Avatar

Yes | No

I thought there were 4 10mm bolts? When you said you tightened them plenty, is it possible you stripped them and didn't realize it? That's only thing I can think as I nver heard that happen before.

1998 BMW 540i 6 speed
    Arctic silver, M sport suspension (euro delivery), prod. date 05/98, non VANOS
    Staggered 18" style 32 OEM wheels
    3.15 open differential
    Remus exhaust
    AFE CAI with improved heat shield
    Z3 shifter
    VDO oil pressure and temperature gauges in place of headlight/fog switches
    Powder coated valve covers-satin black
    CDV delete
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module (aftermarket daytime running lights)

1997 BMW 528iA
    Alpine white, premium package, prod. date 04/97, single VANOS
    Staggered 17" style 32 OEM wheels
    Debadged
    AEA DRL module
    Custom made sun blinds for rear seating area

2000 Nissan Frontier Desert Runner, AKA "The Work Horse"

Garage aids:
    Direct Lift Pro Park 8
    Campbell Hausfeld 28 gallon oil lubricated air compressor
    Newair ACP-1400H portable air conditioner and heater
    Auto Enginuity scan tool with BMW enhanced option